Front bearing leak?

• Thread starter JimmyJamNitroFan
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyJamNitroFan

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Ok guys! Front bearing air leak, is it a problem or no? I’ve heard both sides of the argument and some say yes it is, some say they all leak there and it’s not a seal and some say it is not an issue until it gets past a certain point and then if it’s sucking too much then it becomes a problem. Just wondering because I have one and am having issue that seem like an air leak and that’s literally the only place I can find that is leaking after testing it. So I think I fall in the school of thought that it’s ok to leak a little but the bigger the hole the bigger the issue. Any help?

The throttle blade pivot screw bushing leaked on my Tuned Port Camaro 1:1. That pin hole leak threw the whole mass air flow air fuel metering out of whack. That's on a V8. I can only imagine what a bearing leak do to a can opener sized motor. Replacing the throttle body put it all back in whack. (Yeah, I just said that)

If the bearing is just seeping a bit of oil, it's not likely your issue. Some engines come with metal shielded bearings, which are not sealed at all, well more than a completely open bearing, but less than a rubber sealed bearing.

Check your fuel tank for cracks and your fuel line for pin holes.

If the bearing is just seeping a bit of oil, it's not likely your issue. Some engines come with metal shielded bearings, which are not sealed at all, well more than a completely open bearing, but less than a rubber sealed bearing.

Check your fuel tank for cracks and your fuel line for pin holes.

It’s not even really leaking any fluid it’s just when I did the soap bubble test looking for leaks that was the only place it blew bubbles. Some people say all of them do it and it doesn’t matter that much so that’s why I was asking. Last night I tested my fuel tank for leaks and the lines and their were none but I was able to blow the lid open under water so I bent the spring a little bit to make it harder to open and tightened the o-ring screw more in hopes that that’s my problem and it will seal it up. So I will put it back together completely tonight and try starting it again tomorrow. Even if it was my bearing and eventually when they do go out I don’t know how the hell I'm gonna get them out cause I cannot get the con rod to pop of the shaft so I can take the rod and piston out and the be able to get the bearing out so that’s another issue.

It’s not even really leaking any fluid it’s just when I did the soap bubble test looking for leaks that was the only place it blew bubbles. Some people say all of them do it and it doesn’t matter that much so that’s why I was asking. Last night I tested my fuel tank for leaks and the lines and their were none but I was able to blow the lid open under water so I bent the spring a little bit to make it harder to open and tightened the o-ring screw more in hopes that that’s my problem and it will seal it up. So I will put it back together completely tonight and try starting it again tomorrow. Even if it was my bearing and eventually when they do go out I don’t know how the hell I'm gonna get them out cause I cannot get the con rod to pop of the shaft so I can take the rod and piston out and the be able to get the bearing out so that’s another issue.

It’s SH .18 engine btw

Ok guys! Front bearing air leak, is it a problem or no? I’ve heard both sides of the argument and some say yes it is, some say they all leak there and it’s not a seal and some say it is not an issue until it gets past a certain point and then if it’s sucking too much then it becomes a problem. Just wondering because I have one and am having issue that seem like an air leak and that’s literally the only place I can find that is leaking after testing it. So I think I fall in the school of thought that it’s ok to leak a little but the bigger the hole the bigger the issue. Any help?

You could try running a Bit richer to compensate generally it’s a crankcase that’s knackered you have picked up a bit of dirt and it’s ground it’s way around , you got two chances really? Take a chance on a New bearing or buy a anew bearing and Crancase.
If it’s a cheap RTR engine the cost may out weigh the value of the engine , if it’s a race spec it may be worth you while ,
You can Expect a dribble here n there but if it’s affecting hiwnit runs then it’s cream crackerd my old chum

You could try running a Bit richer to compensate generally it’s a crankcase that’s knackered you have picked up a bit of dirt and it’s ground it’s way around , you got two chances really? Take a chance on a New bearing or buy a anew bearing and Crancase.
If it’s a cheap RTR engine the cost may out weigh the value of the engine , if it’s a race spec it may be worth you while ,
You can Expect a dribble here n there but if it’s affecting hiwnit runs then it’s cream crackerd my old chum

Lol thank man! I ended up leaving it alone and bending the tank lid springs more and tightening the seal screw under the lid and it is running much better so far. Gonna run it tomorrow and see if I can get it tuned and confirm that it’s ok. So the seal is probably fine. But we shall see!

Back