Where to buy parts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culvert

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I recently bought a Roto start backplate for my .21 hobao and it works great and I'm wanting do the same for my other one but it doesn't have the flywheel with the peg that engages the crankshaft what are the specific names for those parts ANd any recommendations on where to purchase them would be greatly appreciated

Iirc alot of the race specific engines used different crankshafts between pull/roto start and bump box, some sadly didnt even have a conversion made because they were race oriented. What engine is on the one that you haven't converted? Might be able to help find the parts needed.

Iirc alot of the race specific engines used different crankshafts between pull/roto start and bump box, some sadly didnt even have a conversion made because they were race oriented. What engine is on the one that you haven't converted? Might be able to help find the parts needed.
The only name on the buggy is SportWerks stamped on receiver box and engine has 21C on it.

1559643275564-454577059.jpg
15596433304652052176022.jpg

The only name on the buggy is SportWerks stamped on receiver box and engine has 21C on it
I have a ofna bump box but it doesn't turn the motor over and from what I've read if the flywheel is wrong size it won't work

so that is the Sportwerks 21c Engine,
you either have a sportweks mayhem, or sportwerks turmoil. apparently the turmoil was the one to have in the day.
Mayhem Manual: http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehicle-manuals/sportwerks-mayhem-rtr-manual.pdf
Turmoil Manual: http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehicle-manuals/sportwerks-turmoil-rtr-manual.pdf
there is not alot out there that i can find on that engine. it does look like there was a roto start model, but Sportwerks got bought out pretty quick comparatively. from the pictures it definitely looks like you have a roto/pull start flywheel because of the size, but weird it has not backplate to it.

so that is the Sportwerks 21c Engine,
you either have a sportweks mayhem, or sportwerks turmoil. apparently the turmoil was the one to have in the day.
Mayhem Manual: http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehicle-manuals/sportwerks-mayhem-rtr-manual.pdf
Turmoil Manual: http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehicle-manuals/sportwerks-turmoil-rtr-manual.pdf
there is not alot out there that i can find on that engine. it does look like there was a roto start model, but Sportwerks got bought out pretty quick comparatively. from the pictures it definitely looks like you have a roto/pull start flywheel because of the size, but weird it has not backplate to it.
Holy crap man I've been searching and searching and haven't found anything thanks for the help more than greatly appreciate it ???????

Can you post a photo of what the rear of the engine looks like inside without the backplate on?

Whats funny ,is every time that I see those engines ,they remind me of a Mach engine that Team Losi used!

Are they the same ,an will they share the starter parts?

Attachments

• 15596729228802043048865.jpg
    15596729228802043048865.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 1559672942849-660575080.jpg
    1559672942849-660575080.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 131

Crankshaft looks like it was altered ,the engine may have been modified an the starter backplate removed!

I could be wrong!

Crankshaft looks like it was altered ,the engine may have been modified an the starter backplate removed!

I could be wrong!
No sir I think your right cause my other engine that has roto start has different connecting rod wrist pin on crank itself to allow use of rotostart the second pic are the Roto start parts that are in my Hobao Hyper engine

Attachments

• 1559673416551-1224820454.jpg
    1559673416551-1224820454.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 155967344898025164199.jpg
    155967344898025164199.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 118
No sir I think your right cause my other engine that has roto start has different connecting rod wrist pin on crank itself to allow use of rotostart the second pic are the Roto start parts that are in my Hobao Hyper engine

LOL...that's definitely a Hyper engine there ,if you notice the fins on the o-way bearing ,that helps bounce the fuel around!

Back in the day ,people would modify their crankshafts to do that ,an also channel the piston sleeves to gain more power ,
they would also remove the starter parts an add a backplate for a bump start off the flywheel to get rid of the weight an
the hindering drag off the engine from a pull start or roto start!

on the sportwerks engine, it looks like the crank pin is hollow correct? it looks like it might have been the same style as HPI engines were, @olds97_lss is much better at explaining that than me lol.
Whats funny ,is every time that I see those engines ,they remind me of a Mach engine that Team Losi used!

its funny you say that, i was looking at my losi on lunch today and noticed it has ".26 C" on the crankcase, same font and format as the sportwerks engine. i may be able to crack into that engine tonight to compare pics, or at least take pics for you to compare, might be able to get a roto start backplate from a dynamite.

If the Roto start parts are not available for purchase I'm guessing my next option would be to buy a new flywheel that will allow use of bump box I'm in no hurry to get the sportwerks going cause at the moment the Hobao runs (like a rocket I might add)but it is my basher and the sportwerks will be for racing only cause it has tons more tuning options as far as chassis

on the sportwerks engine, it looks like the crank pin is hollow correct? it looks like it might have been the same style as HPI engines were, @olds97_lss is much better at explaining that than me lol.

its funny you say that, i was looking at my losi on lunch today and noticed it has ".26 C" on the crankcase, same font and format as the sportwerks engine. i may be able to crack into that engine tonight to compare pics, or at least take pics for you to compare, might be able to get a roto start backplate from a dynamite.
Sweet thanks man

LOL....Dynamite popped into my head as well!.....:hehe:

LOL....Dynamite popped into my head as well!.....:hehe:
Ok I looked up dynamite roto starts and pullstart and found some but it doesn't look like they come with the flywheel that engages the crankshaft do y'all know the specific name for that part

what exact part are you referring too? flywheel is on the nose of the engine that sits on a collet (a cone made of brass) that smashes and holds the flywheel keyed to the crank.
are you meaning the part in the crankhousing that sits right behind the piston and is held up against the backplate (like the one in the other engine above with the turbines on it?)

what exact part are you referring too? flywheel is on the nose of the engine that sits on a collet (a cone made of brass) that smashes and holds the flywheel keyed to the crank.
are you meaning the part in the crankhousing that sits right behind the piston and is held up against the backplate (like the one in the other engine above with the turbines on it?)
Yes sir the part with fins and a peg sticking out

that is the parts list for the mach and kind of shows what that part is.