Fitting Shock Springs for Traxxas Stampede?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tow_glinka

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys,

Well, I have a problem.
I am searching for springs for my Traxxas Stampede 2wd.
I have the Traxxas Big Bore Shocks on it (2660 & 2662).

Can anyone tell me which aftermarket shocks would fit? I would like to get harder shock springs than the stock ones. If it is possible, I would prefer linear springs. The problem is, the 2 options that I found onlie (Hot Racing Spring Set & old Losi Springs) are both discontinued... .

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nothing really, but they are pretty soft. I would just like to try some stiffer springs (Yes, I know, I can stiffen up the suspension through shock oil, but ideally you have to match the springs & the oil to each other).
The truck bottoms out on jumps, which is normal, but it bottoms out pretty hard. It even bottoms out in the front when I pull a Wheelie at speed and then instantly brake. Also, I hope to improve its cornering ability a bit.
At the end of the day, it never is bad to have possibilitys to tune the suspension. (It may even be not that great of an idea, maybe it will be bad on bumps with a stiffer setup. But still, I would like to try it, just to know)

would you be able to measure the inner diameter of the spring? iirc the stock springs that traxxas uses are around 3lb weight, dont want to try dual rates at all? RC raven springs are amazing.
i have ultra shocks, but the TRX Big Bores are smaller diameter than the ultras, so doesn't help a whole lot.

I will measure them in the next few days when I have the time. :D
And the diameters are close enough, I actually use the springs from the ultras on my big bores, they do fit with just a little play.
Well, I could try progressive ones if you can suggest some good ones, but If it is possible I would prefer linears.

I will measure them in the next few days when I have the time. :D
And the diameters are close enough, I actually use the springs from the ultras on my big bores, they do fit with just a little play.
Well, I could try progressive ones if you can suggest some good ones, but If it is possible I would prefer linears.
RC Raven makes some great Dual Rates, they start at 2 PPI and top out at 12 PPI, am running 2 per corner on my MGT, and i know alot of people run them on the T-Maxx.
That said, if they are that close in diameter, look for AE Monster GT Springs, reds are going to be hard to find, but for your rig they would be way to stiff anyway, id say find some blue, copper, or gold.
i run RC Raven Dual rates for the MGT on TRX Ultras, fit tight, but do fit without modification, i also am running the gold springs for the MGT on my brushless rustler.

hope that helps.

You should be able to run t-maxx springs. Might be able to find some that are stiffer, considering it's heavier/bigger truck.

I ran some from an old integy spring set I bought many many years ago that was for the t-maxx. Still had the springs around, so I used those on my stampede 4x4 stock shock with heavier oil. Then I upgraded to the GTR shocks and now run RC Raven dual rates with VDK drilled out.

If you want to stiffen your ride as you say, then springs are the go not heavier oil. You're on the right track

Oil is what stiffens it the most on compression, springs are what make them bounce back/rebound and holds it up. Heavy springs without changing oil makes it bouncy. Heavy oil without stronger springs makes it bouncy and sluggish because the shocks don't expand to absorb the next bump.

I run the springs that came with the big bores, the ultra shock springs didn't fit properly and the big bores 4x4 slash springs felt stiffer. I'm still on 30wt, but my stampede isn't much heavier than stock just bigger tires/wheels.

Thanks a lot guys, I will look into your suggestions! Although some of them might get a little expensive because of shipping (I live in Germany, and haven't checked for now if for example RC Raven imports into Europe...if not they will be a lot of fun to get…).
Well, mine also isn't a lot heavier, but I still would like to stiffen it up.

The Problem with the original Progressive springs that come with the big bores is...well I got the set without them because it was slightly cheaper. :p?
Oh, and the original springs do fit pretty good on mine. They wobble a bit on Top (actually I might have a fix for that without spending any money, I may try the next few days), but fit perfectly on the Bottom...that said, I'm not using the original Spring Cups, but the RPM 80402 Cups which double up as Shock Guards. This is the biggest reason I didn't want the sligtly smaller diameter Springs, I'm not sure if they will fit with the RPM-part, and I want to keep using them (but I might look at the part again, Maybe the slightly smaller springs will also fit).

Again, thanks a lot guys. I will look into this. If anyone else has other ideas, I would appreciate if place them here, might help out me or any other one who searches for this.
I will not get new Springs just yet (if I get the new Springs & Oil I will have not a lot of money left for Spares, and we all know this is when I will break poop :D ). That said, I will definitely get some springs down the line in one or two months. :)

Back