New to me Associated MGT .21R Revival

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Body came in! Now just waiting on paint! Tuesday wont come fast enough!
20190502_121441.jpg

got 2 cans of black and 2 different greens and a red, was more than slightly indecisive between red and green.
have an idea of something i want to try though. gonna mask it first and see how i feel about which way i want to go.

was able to get the truck run this weekend, brought it to my bash spot out near the river. I'm thinking that the gearing might be ok even with the 15t clutchbell, once i get it to shift correctly.
i am very impressed with the integy tires so far. great grip even in pretty loose gravely areas, and even in rocky areas. hadn't been able to try it out in sand though.
loving this engine as well. so easy to tune and start. really wishing i had it pull start though, roto-start is nice, but lugging a drill around while walking through the woods is kind of a pain.
caught some good 3-6ft launches, these RC raven springs just absorb the landings so well!
it is kind of strange though as it feels like the rears are a bit more "springy". weird as the rear carriers more weight because the engine. might increase the oil weight a bit. never had a truck running long enough to be able to complain about shock oil weights lol.

was able to get the truck run this weekend, brought it to my bash spot out near the river. I'm thinking that the gearing might be ok even with the 15t clutchbell, once i get it to shift correctly.
i am very impressed with the integy tires so far. great grip even in pretty loose gravely areas, and even in rocky areas. hadn't been able to try it out in sand though.
loving this engine as well. so easy to tune and start. really wishing i had it pull start though, roto-start is nice, but lugging a drill around while walking through the woods is kind of a pain.
caught some good 3-6ft launches, these RC raven springs just absorb the landings so well!
it is kind of strange though as it feels like the rears are a bit more "springy". weird as the rear carriers more weight because the engine. might increase the oil weight a bit. never had a truck running long enough to be able to complain about shock oil weights lol.

The truck wont do well in sand with out paddles ,even 4 wheel drive .they still get stuck if you don't keep the truck
moving at a fast pace!

We have a river just a few miles away ,an me an B-law thought we was going to have a blast running in the sand ,
BLEH ,it was offal!

The truck wont do well in sand with out paddles ,even 4 wheel drive .they still get stuck if you don't keep the truck
moving at a fast pace!

We have a river just a few miles away ,an me an B-law thought we was going to have a blast running in the sand ,
BLEH ,it was offal!
i have ran a t-maxx in pretty sandy conditions, IIRC, it seemed to have done decently well, it did have the stock, large chevron type tires so that could have played a roll in that. down by the river bottom at the spot i went its more of a sand/gravel mix.
more or less am curious how they will do, I dont expect alot out of them in sand.

i have ran a t-maxx in pretty sandy conditions, IIRC, it seemed to have done decently well, it did have the stock, large chevron type tires so that could have played a roll in that. down by the river bottom at the spot i went its more of a sand/gravel mix.
more or less am curious how they will do, I dont expect alot out of them in sand.

I had some old vids of that ,I am still searching ,may not have them anymore ,I lost all vids & pics on Photo bucket years ago!

yeah been hearing alot of horror stories about photobucket losing stuff or locking people out of accounts, even in a few gaming groups I'm in. its amazing how much information is lost due to that kind of crap happening.

yeah been hearing alot of horror stories about photobucket losing stuff or locking people out of accounts, even in a few gaming groups I'm in. its amazing how much information is lost due to that kind of crap happening.

Back 10 years ago ,viruses were real bad ,so ,I can't really blame P.B. ,I went through 3 PC's due to virus ,my wife was mad
and literelly banded me from a certain forum ,my sister gave me her old PC ,but she had parental control set an forgot
the pass word ,that prevented me from viewing my own photo's ,so I got mad an discontinued P.bucket ,I didn't know
once you do that ,you lose everything!.....:doh::doh:

Well, have come to the conclusion that 15t clutchbell is about perfect for this truck when its shifting correctly. If I was going to start launching this thing huge, might be a bit slow, but it's more of a backwoods basher.
Not going to lie the smile on your face when you get that perfect shift on a good tune!
It is kind of strange though it seems to run about peak at 240F the axial on 20% likes to be 250-260F.
Not complaining at all dont get me wrong!
So happy I stuck with the .21 engine!
Initially was worried it wouldn't be enough oomph.

Well, have come to the conclusion that 15t clutchbell is about perfect for this truck when its shifting correctly. If I was going to start launching this thing huge, might be a bit slow, but it's more of a backwoods basher.
Not going to lie the smile on your face when you get that perfect shift on a good tune!
It is kind of strange though it seems to run about peak at 240F the axial on 20% likes to be 250-260F.
Not complaining at all dont get me wrong!
So happy I stuck with the .21 engine!
Initially was worried it wouldn't be enough oomph.

Yea but ,with the right gearing & shift point ,I think that the second gear helps the 21 at the top end .an a 15t is probably
a perfect match for the power of the 21!

As for a 28 ,a 17 t wont hurt!....:thumbs-up:

tomorrow gonna run the .28/4.6 one and get that one shifting for the 17T.
can't wait for the weekend!

tomorrow gonna run the .28/4.6 one and get that one shifting for the 17T.
can't wait for the weekend!

I need to dig mine out an start getting it back together ,however ,I do have the engine sitting my display case
in the bedroom ,I do need to pop the bell an check my shoes you reminded me!....LOL

haha would be no fun, just gettin prepped to go run and have clutch shoe issues!

haha would be no fun, just gettin prepped to go run and have clutch shoe issues!

Usually when I went out ,I always carried extra ,but who wants to change shoes out in a field!...LOL

The last few times that I ran the truck ,it was mushy on take off ,an quit pulling wheelies ,it use to be wheely happy!....:hehe:

Was going to run the truck on Saturday, the battery ended up being dead so ran the 4.6 instead.
got started on the painting yesterday, got it masked off for the first color and ended up being about 11:00 by that time so painted the first and color and put it away for the night.
the masking media that I'm using so far has me kind of skeptical. i can tell in a few spots there is some bleeding, but i havent pulled the masking off yet. gonna finish it today after work i hope. really liking the light green color from tamiya, next is gonna be a regular green then black. is one area I'm still trying to decide which way to go.
changed my idea on what to do initially, was going to be way to much. maybe next body though.

Was going to run the truck on Saturday, the battery ended up being dead so ran the 4.6 instead.
got started on the painting yesterday, got it masked off for the first color and ended up being about 11:00 by that time so painted the first and color and put it away for the night.
the masking media that I'm using so far has me kind of skeptical. i can tell in a few spots there is some bleeding, but i havent pulled the masking off yet. gonna finish it today after work i hope. really liking the light green color from tamiya, next is gonna be a regular green then black. is one area I'm still trying to decide which way to go.
changed my idea on what to do initially, was going to be way to much. maybe next body though.

Practice makes perfect!

It always comes out good the third time around!......:doh:

Practice makes perfect!

It always comes out good the third time around!......:doh:
or for me.... the 5th, maybe 6th... hmm how bout the 10th, that sounds like a good number lol!

or for me.... the 5th, maybe 6th... hmm how bout the 10th, that sounds like a good number lol!

LOL....yea ,that gets quite expensive an frustrating!

I consider myself a professional house painter ,but for the life of me ,I can't paint a simple RC body!

I paid someone to custom paint an RC body for me one time ,the body cost was I think $ 20 bucks ,shipping
there & back was $25 buck ,custom paint was $120.

This is what it was!

Back