Engine swap help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lampwick

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hi
I have a kyosho pureten alpha with the gx12 engine with one speed/gear ....
I have a cen nt-16 engine on the way to me that I would like to put in the car in place of gx12 .....

But the cen nt16 has 2 gears fitted to it , i would like to keep the car a single speed/ gear . Is it easy enough to convert the cen nt16 to a single speed?
And would it be a compatible swap (plug and play) or require some tweaking? ?

So in a nutshell...will the engine fit and can I make it a single speed/gear ?
Cheers peoples

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190407-213551_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190407-213551_eBay.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 525
  • 20190403_171321.jpg
    20190403_171321.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 20190403_172655.jpg
    20190403_172655.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 343
Is it just a case of swapping the clutch bell for a single speed one ?

Is it just a case of swapping the clutch bell for a single speed one ?

It should fit!

It maybe possible to just unscrew one of the gears off the bell ,if one is about the
same size or ratio ,as the gears are only screwed onto the bell!

It should fit!

It maybe possible to just unscrew one of the gears off the bell ,if one is about the
same size or ratio ,as the gears are only screwed onto the bell!
Brilliant thanks for that ?

Silly question is the cen nt16 in that pic a rotary or slide carb ? And does it matter?

Silly question is the cen nt16 in that pic a rotary or slide carb ? And does it matter?

It is a rotary ,just like the one in the car!
The rotary ones in my opinion ,are more easier to work with in certain applications on
mods on vintage cars & buggies!

The rotary ones in my opinion ,are more easier to work with in certain applications on
THANKS FOR clearing that up for me , it just occurred to me that I didn't check lol .
So it should just be a case of bolting it on and connecting up the throttle linkage etc ?

THANKS FOR clearing that up for me , it just occurred to me that I didn't check lol .
So it should just be a case of bolting it on and connecting up the throttle linkage etc ?
Sorry for all the questions but I haven't physically got it in my hands yet so it's hard to tell and my mind just starts wandering lol

Anyone have any opinions on the cen nt16 engine??
I'm assuming it will be a vast improvement over the kyosho gx12 in terms of power ?
And having the ability to tune lsn must be a bonus?
I'm aiming to turn my alpha into a little on road drift machine, so hopefully the swap works out but will interesting and fun to do either way .

What's your views /thoughts on it ?

Sorry for all the questions but I haven't physically got it in my hands yet so it's hard to tell and my mind just starts wandering lol

No problem!

The carb. on Kyosho though is probably the single needle carb. ,the Cen one is a 2 needle setting ,meaning
that there is a high speed & a low speed needle ,an you will have better tuning capabilities in the transition
from idling to quick full throttle!....:naughty:

No problem!

The carb. on Kyosho though is probably the single needle carb. ,the Cen one is a 2 needle setting ,meaning
that there is a high speed & a low speed needle ,an you will have better tuning capabilities in the transition
from idling to quick full throttle!....:naughty:
Yeah that's what I had in mind hopefully it all works out lol

Yeah that's what I had in mind hopefully it all works out lol

The 2 needle carbs are a little tricky to tune ,but once tuned right ,it will have better
response!
I had bought used engines & rc's before ,an got very lucky with them ,thank God that the people
didn't tune them after break-in an gave up on the engine ,the engines were still at factory settings
an were fuel soaked when I got them!
They drowned the engine in fuel in which is harder on them an the starter rope!

I've also got the kyosho alpha ,2 speed transmission on its way to but trying to find instructions or a video of how to assemble it is a nightmare... I'm guessing I just slip the new 2 geared clutch bell on that side of things but how does the rest go together ? I'm not expecting someone to babysit me through it just if you could point me in the right direction or some instructions?
Many thanks.
Top pic is the kit I've ordered for the alpha pureten
Screenshot_20190408-225053_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20190408-225053_Google.jpg

that one has me, I'm going to imagine for the clutchbell that you are going to take off the pilot from the crank as i think the one in the kit is extended, the other I'm guessing that you are going to be tearing the rear diff off as it looks like the kit includes a lengthened input shaft for the second gear to ride on. I'm going to end up doing something similar as my friend just got a nitro rs4 racer 2 that we are wanting to install a 2 speed setup on it.

Hi mate , thanks for chiming in , Yeah hopefully it will make a bit more sense when I've got in my hands and start to take diff apart , I'd like to try a couple of set ups ...the gx12 is what I'm running at the moment single speed so first experiment is put the two speed kit on that /the car , run it see how it feels for a bit etc ... then whip out the gx12 and put the cen nt16 in and try that two speed /single speed , and see what works best for me .

I'd like to end up with it being just right for mid to high speed drifting so i can rip round some supermarket car parks and dodge a trolley or two at WOT with the wheels still spinning but carrying some speed lol

That's a brake down of the standard rear diff , does that make it make more sense to you ? I'm still not sure lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190408-233634_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190408-233634_Drive.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 387
i have yet to run an on road car of any type really, so i am very excited to help my friend get set up (he is brand new to nitro, but has some electric experience). i can only imagine the difference between the gx.12 and that cen, even just for the fact of having 2 needles.
for drifting i know 2 speed isnt quite as popular because having to time the power band, but especially being a parking lot basher i dont see that as being so much of a problem. it looks like the shaft near the bottom of the page that the spur goes on is the one being replaced. might just have a different pin hole location for the wider 2 gear vs the single gear setup. (sorry there isnt a part number associated to it on the page shown.) its kind of right near the cloud arrow is pointing.
random but this is 2wd right? or is it 4wd?

Hi mate , thanks for chiming in , Yeah hopefully it will make a bit more sense when I've got in my hands and start to take diff apart , I'd like to try a couple of set ups ...the gx12 is what I'm running at the moment single speed so first experiment is put the two speed kit on that /the car , run it see how it feels for a bit etc ... then whip out the gx12 and put the cen nt16 in and try that two speed /single speed , and see what works best for me .

I'd like to end up with it being just right for mid to high speed drifting so i can rip round some supermarket car parks and dodge a trolley or two at WOT with the wheels still spinning but carrying some speed lol

Lol...just don't create a monster that you can't handle!.......:naughty:
I have street cars with 2 spd's ,an know how mine go together ,but don't know
too much about the Kyosho brand ,they do look similar though!

Once you get it ,you should be able to figure it out ,then you can ask if you have issues ,its hard
to explain how over the PC.!

Its basicly a 2 spd hub that has a paw that swings out an catches a flange inside the other gear ,
it also has a o-way bearing on it that slides on your shaft ,then there is a few shims!

Here's a better photo:
agw2_agw2_pc1_l.jpg

Found it here:
http://rc.kyosho.com/ja/agw2.html

Can't for the life of me find the manual though. All I can find instructions for is, I'm assuming, a newer 2 speed that uses clutch shoes instead of a pawl type, which your getting.

And looking at it, it's built completely different:
http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/i...ries_for_ep-gp_models/pdf/igw008_2speed_m.pdf

Your's has more what the revo/t-maxx/savage have whereas that one is like what the LST2 had. End result is 2 speeds, but the path to get there is quite a bit different.

Here's a better photo:
agw2_agw2_pc1_l.jpg

Found it here:
http://rc.kyosho.com/ja/agw2.html

Can't for the life of me find the manual though. All I can find instructions for is, I'm assuming, a newer 2 speed that uses clutch shoes instead of a pawl type, which your getting.

And looking at it, it's built completely different:
http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/i...ries_for_ep-gp_models/pdf/igw008_2speed_m.pdf

Your's has more what the revo/t-maxx/savage have whereas that one is like what the LST2 had. End result is 2 speeds, but the path to get there is quite a bit different.
Thanks for chiming in , I managed to install it all yesterday I'll put some pics up later , touch of luck the gears came with fitting instructions so all went well lol