BicketyBam's HPI SavageX

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

King of Bling
Reaction score
This is what started it all for me - the HPI SavageX. I purchased it as an RTR back in 2007. I ran it for about 18 months and them put it away for 11 years (along with my other RC truck). I did a bunch of mods to it back then and when I got back into the hobby and took it out of storage I had to put a new motor in it (Hobao Hyper 30T). I am using an old Losi exhaust from the Losi Muggy. I also replaced the diffs with aftermarket bulletproof diffs. The truck does not have a center diff - it uses an optional 3 speed transmission (stock is a two speed). I am also running a RR hardened spur and slipper clutch.

The biggest problem I had with the truck was the stock fuel tank. Because of the design it would make the engine run leaner and leaner as the talk emptied. So you had 3 options: 1) constantly re-tune it as you ran (no fun) 2) tune it rich so that it would like a pig for 1/4 tank, a little better for the next 1/4, great for 5 minutes and then lean at the end and 3) tune it for a full tank and constantly refill the tank when it got a little less than half full. All of these options sucked. @olds97_lss clued me in to a tank that people changed to that required a creative mounting method (it's an Ofna buggy fuel tank). While smaller than the stock tank it should eliminate the half tank lean issue that plagued the stock tank. It's been too cold to test but I am hopeful.

The last thing I did was change the wheel hexes. The truck came with 14mm hexes and 8mm wheel nuts. I found some Hot Racing 17mm 5mm offset wheel adapters and just put them on. I had my old Kraton Minokawas laying around so I threw them on along with a new body I bought off eBay. They say you never forget your first and here she is.

Thanks to @olds97_lss for the help. It's nice having at least one nitro guy still around :ROFLMAO:

Also, before there was the Arrma vs. Traxxas war, it was Traxxas vs. HPI. When I bought the Savage, everyone was running Revos and I got my balls busted for buying the Savage. But I wasn't planning on racing it and I just liked the way it looked better than the Revo. Other than destroying the stock diffs, the truck has been rock solid. I also have the version where they made diff access much easier. Not as easy as an Arrma but way easier say my Losi Rock Rey. I don't regret my decision to go with the Savage over the Revo at all. It's a fun truck!

If we lose you to nitro when the weather warms up, I'm sending Rocco and Francol to pay Miss Savage a visit. Beauty Bick.

That will never happen. It's so much easier to charge a battery and go. No fuel, glow plugs and tuning to deal with. I like it for a change of pace every now and then.

That will never happen. It's so much easier to charge a battery and go. No fuel, glow plugs and tuning to deal with. I like it for a change of pace every now and then.
But run time must be outstanding. Never had the balls to consider nitro, but the hobby shop closest to my house, has about 4 or 5 used ones for sale at any given time. Not gonna pretend I didn't think about it, and I know I'm skilled enough to do the work. Maybe one day.

But run time must be outstanding. Never had the balls to consider nitro, but the hobby shop closest to my house, has about 4 or 5 used ones for sale at any given time. Not gonna pretend I didn't think about it, and I know I'm skilled enough to do the work. Maybe one day.
i do recomend at least dipping into nitro, most fun I've had with RC's, the plug and play is nice, but the driving, and working on the nitro trucks experience is IMO second to none.

Amazing truck! never ended up getting a savage, i got into the T-Maxx which quickly changed over to the MGT, and towards the end of my running before my break was the LST. savages were always expensive when i was changing rigs. one day ill have one though.
that frame and skid set is beautiful! where did you find that or was it custom?

If we lose you to nitro when the weather warms up, I'm sending Rocco and Francol to pay Miss Savage a visit. Beauty Bick.
Don't worry @bicketybam, we can take em!

I bought a set of those kraton tires too... thought maybe they would go on my outcast and hold up at the skate park better than the traxxas tires I tried, but lighter than the trenchers. However, after recent events with my brushless revo... they may find a home on that and I'll move the trencher to my savage X. ?

Objection!

It was always TMAXX vs savage. Savage definitely had the majority the whole time but especially when they put the 4.6 into it. Tmaxx just isn't as good of a truck.

I was out to make EVERYONE mad so that's why I bought an S-maxx LOL. I don't do nitro anymore. Brushless rocks. As a mechanic I want nothing to do with the complications of running nitro anymore.

Amazing truck! never ended up getting a savage, i got into the T-Maxx which quickly changed over to the MGT, and towards the end of my running before my break was the LST. savages were always expensive when i was changing rigs. one day ill have one though.
that frame and skid set is beautiful! where did you find that or was it custom?

Custom. Some guy was making them on a Savage forum I was on.

Do they still sell the extension kit??? I remember awhile ago you could buy one to elongate the truck and I always found it neat

Back