Tacon Valor/LC Racing EMB-TGH

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick2500

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I want to get myself something for my birthday but I cannot decide on what I should get.
1/5th scale? Losi DBXL or DBXL-E?
Nitro? Traxxas Revo 3.3 or Hobao Hyper 7?
Stadium truck? Team Associated RC10T4.3 or Hpi Firestorm Flux?
1/14 scale? Tacon Thriller or Tacon Valor or Tacon Soar or LC Racing EMB-TGH?
1/10 Monster truck? Arrma Granite 4x4 3S BLX or Team Redcat TR-10MTE?
1/8 buggy? Arrma Typhon or Hobao Hyper VSe 80% roller?
I'm way too indecisive and I know my list is all over the place.

Also looking for something cheap, $150 or less, 1/10 scale and 4wd for my nephew. It has to be able to survive a 12 year old autistic child who understands how to steer the truck, but he still has a tendency to run into things, he gets distracted by stuff sometimes, but hasn't quite mastered throttle control.

Thanks in advance guys.

I say go ARRMA Typhon for yourself although I prefer the Talion it's longer and you get more power to the ground for your nephew I'd look into ECX I have a Brushless Ruckus and nothing really breaks on it because all the parts are so flexible But it is a little more than you're looking to spend...just my opinion, hope it helps! Also with the Ruckus you can select 50/75/100% throttle on the controller...great for beginner drivers

I say go ARRMA Typhon for yourself although I prefer the Talion it's longer and you get more power to the ground for your nephew I'd look into ECX I have a Brushless Ruckus and nothing really breaks on it because all the parts are so flexible But it is a little more than you're looking to spend...just my opinion, hope it helps! Also with the Ruckus you can select 50/75/100% throttle on the controller...great for beginner drivers

I honestly do not care for how the V3 Talion looks at all and I just dislike everything about it. Would rather buy a V1 Talion to be completely honest.

I already have a 2wd Ruckus with the DX2E that I let him use and I don't really want another Ecx. Especially with what Horizon is doing with them. https://www.ecxforum.com/threads/horizon-discontinuing-online-sales-of-ecx.1798/

Was thinking something like the Force RC Warhawk or Outbreak, cheap(my LHS carries parts for those but not Arrma..................) doesn't go too fast and I can get it on Easy Pay from Tower for like $40 a month. And now you can't use coupon codes on Force Rc stuff.................... seriously what is the point in having the Super Savers club membership anymore?

Last edited:
So I want to get myself something for my birthday but I cannot decide on what I should get.
1/5th scale? Losi DBXL or DBXL-E?...

Also looking for something cheap, $150 or less

Please tell me where you can find a Losi DBXL for $150 or less...

:D

Look on FB, there are adds all over. Also, Traxxas Xmax's for $39.99...

To Slick -

I will vote for the Tacon 1/14 MT or Truggy, in brushless trim. I have a 1/16 truggy (mine is the Hobbyking/Acme one) and it is by far my most used RC. It is just too much fun in the backyard, or at a kids park. Smaller, lighter, slower, so I don't have to worry about breaking other kids. Fast enough to push it's own limits. My only issue with my Acme, parts are drying up with Hobbyking dropping the brand, plus it was not hugely durable to begin with... I am probably need to resort to printing 3d parts pretty soon.

Also, for the nephew, a Tacon could work too - the brushed versions are under $100, right? Even the brushless ones are under $200.

To Slick -

I will vote for the Tacon 1/14 MT or Truggy, in brushless trim. I have a 1/16 truggy (mine is the Hobbyking/Acme one) and it is by far my most used RC. It is just too much fun in the backyard, or at a kids park. Smaller, lighter, slower, so I don't have to worry about breaking other kids. Fast enough to push it's own limits. My only issue with my Acme, parts are drying up with Hobbyking dropping the brand, plus it was not hugely durable to begin with... I am probably need to resort to printing 3d parts pretty soon.

Also, for the nephew, a Tacon could work too - the brushed versions are under $100, right? Even the brushless ones are under $200.
Yeah the brushed Soar is like $89, every now and then Nitrorcx has free shipping and 15% off some of the Tacon models. The only downside to those is the only batteries I have that will fit in them are 3 year old 6 cell Dynamite NIMH packs so I would have to buy some mini 2s lipos.

Yeah, but mini-lipos are cheap, $10-$15.

Yeah, exactly. My mini batteries are 2200 35c zippy compacts - I think they are $12. But they are like 110mm long, which is a bit too long for most minis. I had to custom the battery mounting in all of my minis to make them work. My 2200mah driving a 2040, or a 2440 will last somewhere around 45 minutes, with a 2838 it is about half an hour. (and with a 3650 in a 1/10SCT, about 8 minutes:) ) So dropping a bit of mah should not be an issue.

Yeah, exactly. My mini batteries are 2200 35c zippy compacts - I think they are $12. But they are like 110mm long, which is a bit too long for most minis. I had to custom the battery mounting in all of my minis to make them work. My 2200mah driving a 2040, or a 2440 will last somewhere around 45 minutes, with a 2838 it is about half an hour. (and with a 3650 in a 1/10SCT, about 8 minutes:) ) So dropping a bit of mah should not be an issue.
I think I'll get my nephew the Tacon Thriller since he likes blue better $109 with free shipping this week.

Last edited:
1/5th scale? Losi DBXL or DBXL-E?
Nitro? Traxxas Revo 3.3 or Hobao Hyper 7?
Stadium truck? Team Associated RC10T4.3 or Hpi Firestorm Flux?
1/14 scale? Tacon Thriller or Tacon Valor or Tacon Soar or LC Racing EMB-TGH?
1/10 Monster truck? Arrma Granite 4x4 3S BLX or Team Redcat TR-10MTE?
1/8 buggy? Arrma Typhon or Hobao Hyper VSe 80% roller?
I'm way too indecisive and I know my list is all over the place.

Also looking for something cheap, $150 or less, 1/10 scale and 4wd for my nephew. It has to be able to survive a 12 year old autistic child who understands how to steer the truck, but he still has a tendency to run into things, he gets distracted by stuff sometimes, but hasn't quite mastered throttle control.

Thanks in advance guys.
I was hoping for more options, as it sounds like you already have it really narrowed down....LOL

Should I get the rtr http://casterracingmi.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=173&product_id=1557
Or the pro kit version http://casterracingmi.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=173&product_id=1797

The pro kit version looks pretty ba

Last edited:
Yeah, X2. I love building kits, so that is the way I would go.

Oh Yeah kits all the way! They are so much fun to build but only if they are designed well otherwise its a Nightmare!

Last edited:
Well if I wait to pay my cell phone bill until the 17th I can get everything now, or I can get just the kit and buy the paint, batteries and fluids later or I pay my cell phone bill on time and buy everything on the 17th.
dailystruggg (1).jpg

Back