WOW do I despise Windows 10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotcha. I'm now backing info on USB thumb drives that I'll store in the car and one of the HDs will be at the neighbor's.
Well that was a drastic change of faith.

You went from "no way could I ever give a trusted, well known company access to my files to restore privately and securely" to now handing everything over to a neighbor and stashing it in a glovebox. I like it :D

You went from "no way could I ever give a trusted, well known company access to my files to restore privately and securely" to now handing everything over to a neighbor and stashing it in a glovebox. I like it :D
The hard drive requires a pass word and the car has a hidden compartment that can only be opened when I'm inside with the electronic fob......
SO THERE!!! :celebrate:

Gotcha. I'm now backing info on USB thumb drives that I'll store in the car and one of the HDs will be at the neighbor's.
I don't know if you heard of the town of Paradise, CA, but the entire town burned in a matter of minutes in late 2018 so a neighbor might not be the best of an offsite back. Bank vault? And make sure where you store your copies onsite that they're in a fire rated safe. You never know.

The hard drive requires a pass word and the car has a hidden compartment that can only be opened when I'm inside with the electronic fob......
SO THERE!!! :celebrate:
That makes it awful inconvenient to get to for polishing....

I don't know if you heard of the town of Paradise, CA, but the entire town burned in a matter of minutes in late 2018 so a neighbor might not be the best of an offsite back. Bank vault? And make sure where you store your copies onsite that they're in a fire rated safe. You never know.
I'm in a steel and concrete building. It's absolutely fireproof.

The external Hard Drive is the Western Digital 4 Tb "My Book". No worries.

Unless the fire starts from the inside, then it's just a giant oven. :D
Doesn't matter. Cast slab construction. Just paint on the inside walls with a sprinkler system in every room. One apartment fire, even with fuel to keep it burning, can not get to another apartment either next to it or above it. If the back up burns I still have mine. If my apartment is destroyed by the sprinkler system, I still have the external backups at my neighbor's and the thumb drives in the car.
We've had 2 fires in the 12 years I've lived here that have set off the sprinklers. The fire goes out before the fire department could get here to turn off the water.

It seems that their latest update is a bigger problem than their endless new operating systems. (LOVED XP)
Dreadfully slow to load the desktop on boot up and I constantly get a pop-up in the lower right telling me to reboot to repair problems. If eliminating the problems caused by their updates were included, it would make sense, but it continues to do the same thing. The problem with MS is that it's BS.

It seems that their latest update is a bigger problem than their endless new operating systems. (LOVED XP)
Dreadfully slow to load the desktop on boot up and I constantly get a pop-up in the lower right telling me to reboot to repair problems. If eliminating the problems caused by their updates were included, it would make sense, but it continues to do the same thing. The problem with MS is that it's BS.
Switch to linux. ;)

I just put ubuntu on my laptop that I tinker with. I kept the W10 SSD in case I want to go back and threw a cheap 128GB SSD in it for ubuntu. Boots in about 15 seconds after the bios post. On my main PC, I had an SSD die. My backup was 6 months old... so I wanted to get data off the dead SSD if possible, but every windows computer I plugged it into locked up as soon as I turned on the dock. Tried installing directly, wouldn't boot with it in there as a secondary. Seemed the MFT was damaged. So, figured I'd try linux off a usb with the bad ssd in a dock. That worked and I got my data back.

I fiddled with ubuntu on usb for a while, seemed like it did what I needed for that particular laptop. I only use it to surf stuff when I'm on the couch watching TV. Otherwise I'm in the office with my desktop. After running it a few weeks on usb, I decided to just use it off the internal instead.

ubuntu is the way to go, sadly some programs don't work still even through WiNE, there are usually work-arounds though.
linux is very safe for online security as well.

For gaming, I'm forced into Windows 10 no matter what. For everything else, it's OSX for me. My Macbook Pro is the first computer that I've never had to format or perform major time consuming maintenance on to get it feeling fresh and responsive again. It'll be 7 years old in May. But, we all have our preferences, so whatever works for you.

For gaming, I'm forced into Windows 10 no matter what. For everything else, it's OSX for me. My Macbook Pro is the first computer that I've never had to format or perform major time consuming maintenance on to get it feeling fresh and responsive again. It'll be 7 years old in May. But, we all have our preferences, so whatever works for you.
I agree that apple is good for exactly what it is good for, but its infinitely difficult to go beyond what its uses are.

I agree that apple is good for exactly what it is good for, but its infinitely difficult to go beyond what its uses are.
I HAVE to work on them at work from time to time and I flat out despise them. I think it's partly because I'm always under the gun at work and not being on them every day makes them difficult to get around in and cumbersome to use.

I'd have the same issue with the ubuntu machine if it wasn't just something I was tinkering with in my spare time. Definitely takes some time to figure out where things are, how to install stuff and having to be careful to not install something that corrupts the dumb thing. I had to reinstall twice because of programs I installed to monitor the system and the laptop not having whatever sensors the program was looking for, so when you reboot, it would lock up.

That part of it... I don't like. But the speed of it on an older machine is nice.

Other than gaming, what uses are you having trouble with?

I bought my personal macbook pro (MBP) for processing video and photography files back when I was really into that stuff. But other than gaming, I haven't really found anything I come up short on. But, like Olds mentioned, there's definitely a learning curve. And I'll also admit that years of being ingrained into the Windows way of doing things made it rough for a little while learning curve wise. And there's some things that are just overly complicated in OSX, and easier in Windows, and vice versa. My personal MBP is bootcamped so I have my choice, my work MBP has a Win10 VM host available within seconds should I need it to simulate a customer PC for testing, etc.

Other than gaming, what uses are you having trouble with?

I bought my personal macbook pro (MBP) for processing video and photography files back when I was really into that stuff. But other than gaming, I haven't really found anything I come up short on. But, like Olds mentioned, there's definitely a learning curve. And I'll also admit that years of being ingrained into the Windows way of doing things made it rough for a little while learning curve wise. And there's some things that are just overly complicated in OSX, and easier in Windows, and vice versa. My personal MBP is bootcamped so I have my choice, my work MBP has a Win10 VM host available within seconds should I need it to simulate a customer PC for testing, etc.
as with rc and most things i do like to tinker with stuff, so upgrade ability of macs are zero. so if you need more space/graphics processing, ram, anything, upgraded you are SOL, they have decent specs for general usage but in specific fields aside from photography/videos they are "OK" but they were primarily designed with those items in mind so they excel in that area.
replacement parts, and repairs are severely constricted because of how apple operates.
there is not very much in the way of operating system modification, which i understand because it makes it more user-friendly and hard for people messing up the OS accidentally.
i guess its not them at fault, but for the Cad design softwares, they are practically unusable, between not being compatible with, and when they are compatible, not being able handle it.
they are good for what they are intended to be used for, but for what i need computers for, they fall short on.

as with rc and most things i do like to tinker with stuff, so upgrade ability of macs are zero. so if you need more space/graphics processing, ram, anything, upgraded you are SOL, they have decent specs for general usage but in specific fields aside from photography/videos they are "OK" but they were primarily designed with those items in mind so they excel in that area.
replacement parts, and repairs are severely constricted because of how apple operates.
there is not very much in the way of operating system modification, which i understand because it makes it more user-friendly and hard for people messing up the OS accidentally.
i guess its not them at fault, but for the Cad design softwares, they are practically unusable, between not being compatible with, and when they are compatible, not being able handle it.
they are good for what they are intended to be used for, but for what i need computers for, they fall short on.
The Macs we had in high school left a bad taste in my mouth, nothing like the entire thing locking up while using the word processor.

I actually like Windows 10, there are a few things that I keep looking for in the wrong spot because they moved it but other than that no issues since beta. Windows ME, Vista and 8 were terrible operating systems.

This morning it took almost 10 minutes for it to boot. It went through the process of scanning the disk to repair errors. What a pain in the head. How do I stop this useless waste of time? I still have a notice to restart to repair errors.
Wow, do I despise Windows 10.

You sure your drive isn't dying?
kind of what i was thinking, mine takes less than 10 seconds to get to my home screen when i fire it up, i am running an SSD though. with HDD it was right around 30 - 45 seconds.
could save all your information to a backup drive then clean install windows 10 again. if you dont have the install disk from when you purchased the computer you can install the OS iso from microsoft site. i believe there is an option to install the computer being used. I've only done it for new computer builds. i know quite a few computers that were updated to windows 10 that was still in pre-release form that are still running strong. i do not like on windows 10 how it defaults to update to the newest updated even when they are optional updates. but you can change that setting to full manually selection of updates or to required and or recommended only.
i will not say windows 10 is great. but its the best windows OS since windows xp and 98. Vista, 8, 8.X, were all pretty terrible. windows 7 wasn't "horrible" but it was not terrible in my experience.