The "What did you buy today?" thread...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy to say I have not spend a dime other than fuel in 2+ years and I run daily. This is an incredibly expensive hobby. I am down to 8 vehicles Forced myself to select my top 8 (as eight is the most I can really keep up with) and have well over 10 gallons on each one. I'm stocked up with parts/engines/pipes/servos etc so have spent the past two years only focused on what I have just mixing and matching. Probably will wait another year or so before looking at anything.

However: This is making my mouth water reading all the stuff you are all getting. Oh my I want to buy so many things. lol
I know that feeling. I just bought my first NIB truck in a couple years this summer, Arrma outcast. I didn't have room for it and had to buy another rack and reorganize my office, which is also my "truck room". The E-Revo Brushless got me started on electric 2 years ago, wife got it for me for Christmas (after I sent a link to her). I had 5 nitro's before that, rarely drove 3 of them. Sold one, converted one and now have 5 electrics and 3 nitros! And I'm chomping at the bit to get a rustler 4x4 brushless that I have no room for.

Anyway, did a knee jerk bid on ebay for a Hitec D7 2x200w/2x20A AC/DC charger. I wanted to start running 3S in my two smaller trucks and was considering changing completely over to 3S packs, but can't find any that fit all trucks and have enough power/run time. So, will stick with 2x2S for my big trucks and 3S for my small ones. Anyway, wanted another charger in the house so I could charge 2 3S packs and 4 2S packs at the same time before heading out to bash. Was thinking I'd end up with some sizeable 3S packs for the big trucks, so wanted something that put out more than 10A/100W than my 4x100w charger. I got it for $135 shipped. Thing looked pretty new and seems to do a good job.
2018-1021-HobbyStar3S5200mah-OnCharger01.jpg

Threw together a stand for it and my 4x100 charger, had to get some longer 7S balance leads and make some longer main power leads:
2018-1027-ChargerRack01.jpg

Also got 2 hobbystar 45C 5200mah lipo's to run in my eJato and stampede 4x4. Cooked the traxxas 3500kv in my eJato. Got a castle sct sv3/3800kv to replace it, but only put the motor in, still running the TRX 3S esc. Also ahve the sct sv3/3800kv system in my stampede. So far, they seem to do fine on 3S. However, one of the HS packs is kind of a dud. Not much punch right off the charger and doesn't last nearly as long as the other.

So, me being me, I took 3 of my old SMC 2S 7200mah 2S2P packs apart to make 2 7200 3S2P packs. Had to refigure my battery hold down in the stampede and adjust some stuff in the eJato to shoehorn the thing in there. May actually take them out and run them this weekend... or work on my car. Pretty sure I know which will be more fun.

The cobbled pack next to my 7400mah 2S SMC and 5200mah 3S HS packs:
2018-1114-2SSMC-3SHobbyStar-3SSMC03.jpg

2018-1114-2SSMC-3SHobbyStar-3SSMC01.jpg

Had to get a 100W soldering iron to take them apart... that was not a fun process:
2018-1029-SMCModified3S01.jpg

Had to raise my center support bar in the ejato to fit the thing in there:
2018-1103-eJato-SMC3SLipoClearance01.jpg

2018-1103-eJato-SMC3SLipoSide01.jpg

Last edited:
I get excited when I save on my RC maintenance supplies. Wife wanted gift ideas. Amazon to the rescue.
Capture.JPG

When it's cheaper for me to get something delivered to my front door, than it is for me to drive a couple of miles to get item....shopping at home. Isn't it great?

I went to get a link of item, and now the price jumped $3.20 more for a can :depressed:. Still, it's cheaper to buy 2 cans of the spray, than it is to buy a 2 pack, and still cheaper than auto parts store located 4 miles away.

Picked up a new G702 mouse for my workstation to replace a failed G502. Best Buy had them on sale for about $35. I couldn't pass up the upgrade. Also ordered an all aluminum extruder drive for my 3d printer to replace the plastic one.

LG 4 phone. I'm still seeing spots and streaks after finding out how to turn on the flashlight.

WHAT? YOU got a smart phone? After our conversation last week? LOL Just wait till you get used to it. You'll be like my Mom, blowing people up with text messages. She swore she didn't want one. But now she's hooked, and sees the convenience aspect of it that I always hoped that she would. They really do make life easier for most of us.

Well, I originally got a basic flip phone...yes, you can still get them. It's small and doesn't take up much pocket room. I only need it in the car since I'm in a steel and concrete building and my cell phones don't work in here. Unfortunately I had to make 4 trips to the AT&T store and waste over 4 hours with different techies, the last one telling me to take the car to the dealership. At the dealer, another hour only to be told that it was not compatible with the CUE system in Cadillacs. Damn, 3 year old car and a brand new phone and they can't play together.
Anyway, had to go back and swap out at AT&T. Had no choice but to upgrade. Doesn't mean I have to use it for anything other than a car phone.
Hmmm, I wonder what happens when I press this icon and then swipe.....OW! What the HELL was THAT?

Got some bits for my stampede 4x4 vxl:
Tekno center shaft to replace the wrong one I asked my wife to get me for Christmas
Spur gears for the center diff
FLM center diff cup (used 200K when I installed it)
New complete front/rear diffs which I tore down and put 50k/100k in and replaced the bearings with FE bearings
VG Racing springs to use with the GTR shocks my wife got me for Christmas
VDK for the GTR's

My wife got me some other stuff for my outcast for Christmas:
Hot racing rear chassis brace
Hot racing slide adjustable motor mount (not looking forward to getting the bearing out of that)
Hot racing center diff top piece
Hot racing center diff front X piece

Going to get up to 45F tomorrow. Planning on beating up both those trucks. Hoping the center diff in the stampede holds up. Last time out, I had the plastic cup and 500K, it lasted about 8 minutes on 3S with the SCT Sv3/3800kv 11/54 gearing before chewing the teeth off half the spur. Was like confetti dumping out when I took the rear end off.

Last week I bought a used ps4 for $100 as well as RDR2.

Yesterday I ordered a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 in zome green.

I'm really enjoying RDR2, excellent value to now with the online portion available, 2 stories for the price of one game.
Went this morning an bought this!....:cool:

How do you like Battlefield V? I just couldn't get into Battlefield 4, I tried to like it. What got me was I paid full price for a game, and then had to pay more to get all the levels in the online multiplayer which was my main reason for buying the game. But that's EA for you and there in game micro transactions, Star wars battlefront was even worse, but had a great online mode.

I ordered a Team Associated CR12 Ford F150. It was delivered yesterday and I haven't had a chance to even take it out of the box. I'm off this weekend and I've been exhausted since the 24th with the holidays and work, so I plan on getting into the box and probably lazing around playing video games all weekend.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying RDR2, excellent value to now with the online portion available, 2 stories for the price of one game.

How do you like Battlefield V? I just couldn't get into Battlefield 4, I tried to like it. What got me was I paid full price for a game, and then had to pay more to get all the levels in the online multiplayer which was my main reason for buying the game. But that's EA for you and there in game micro transactions, Star wars battlefront was even worse, but had a great online mode.

I ordered a Team Associated CR12 Ford F150. It was delivered yesterday and I haven't had a chance to even take it out of the box. I'm off this weekend and I've been exhausted since the 24th with the holidays and work, so I plan on getting into the box and probably lazing around playing video games all weekend.

This is my first X-box ,because of fear of one taking a dump!
My daughter an my B-law would get the previous ones ,an they didn't last long ,so I always
stuck with the PS's over the years.
I figured ,all these years ,that they made their crap better ,so ,we will see!....LOL

But ,that Battle F-V ,IT IS FREAKIN AWSOME ,however ,I am pi$$ed off ,those freakin sour krauts stoled
my faharvergnugen!......

The graphics are awesome!....:cool:

Picked up a refurbished Dell Latitude E7440 laptop and a 1TB SSD for it to replace my failed E6320.

Picked up a refurbished Dell Latitude E7440 laptop and a 1TB SSD for it to replace my failed E6320.
That's all I buy when I get laptops. Last one I bought was an E6510 to upgrade my wifes 5420. She wanted a larger screen. I still have the 5420 on my end of the couch, but I rarely use it. With an SSD in them, they are still pretty quick. I think my work laptop is an old 6510 with an i7-4800MQ in it. They keep trying to give me a new computer with a smaller screen, so I just keep this thing. Those 14" monitors hurt my eyes when I'm in meetings, especially with 1080. lol!

Ordered a new pair of shoes... if they fit, I'm getting another pair for when I'm out running trucks. My old kicks have kicked the bucket.

I'm trying to find a good computer on a budget, and it doesn't seem to be working out very well. I'd like to start editing some videos, and live streaming from my Xbox one with an Elgato HD60 S. The system requirements for the Elgato are not too demanding, the processor needs to be at least 4 cores and a 4 generation Intel or similar AMD. Problem is anything under $1000 has the "U" suffix at the end of processor name, like i5 4XXXu. I guess the "U" means low power consumption, and it's insufficient to power the Elgato. I also don't know much about computers so it's a daunting task.

I'm trying to find a good computer on a budget, and it doesn't seem to be working out very well. I'd like to start editing some videos, and live streaming from my Xbox one with an Elgato HD60 S. The system requirements for the Elgato are not too demanding, the processor needs to be at least 4 cores and a 4 generation Intel or similar AMD. Problem is anything under $1000 has the "U" suffix at the end of processor name, like i5 4XXXu. I guess the "U" means low power consumption, and it's insufficient to power the Elgato. I also don't know much about computers so it's a daunting task.
Use a desktop instead of a laptop. Many laptops use the power saving cpu's.

Made a $70 order at mcmaster.com to stock back up on nuts/bolts/washers and threw in a piece of 1/8" delrin to maybe make a better roll bar for my stampede... and other stuff if I can form it a bit.