HSP, Redcat, Himoto, and ExceedRC Driveshaft help

• Thread starter Roanoke RC group
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roanoke RC group

RCTalk Racer
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
I have the Redcat Volcano EPX RC. I broke a front dogbone shaft driving in my yard on 2s. Is their any other options for shafts made by some other company? The volcano is the same vehicle as the Exceed infinitive, HSP brontosaurus, and some other truck made by himoto.

-Thanks

Got a photo and measurements? Can probably find something with all the RC's around these days.

I wonder if this would work:
https://www.amazon.com/TEKNO-RC-LLC-Driveshaft-Outdrives/dp/B008DYGE6E

Reading the questions, somone said it's 157mm end to end, but the cups are pretty long, so perhaps if the cups fit, it would work for yours as well. Bit of a gamble though. Then again, things bought on amazon are usually pretty easy to return.

Last edited:
Got a photo and measurements? Can probably find something with all the RC's around these days.

Reading the questions, somone said it's 157mm end to end, but the cups are pretty long, so perhaps if the cups fit, it would work for yours as well. Bit of a gamble though. Then again, things bought on amazon are usually pretty easy to return.

I was talking about the individual driveshafts for the wheels. they are 90mm each with a ball end and a little pin through the end like that center driveshaft

Some had good luck with these, others say they are junk. For the price, I'd probably give them a whirl...https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...ft+08046+For+RC+Redcat+1/10+Volcano+&_sacat=0

Your dogbone measurement is from pin to pin, or the entire length, end to end? Also, no info on the diameter of the dogbone "ball" or the crosspin diameter/length. There's quite a variation from dogbone to dogbone and not every bone fits every drive cup or axle.

Any time there are dogbones used in the frontend of an RC, I'd check for binding when the steering is fully turn to the left/right. Also check your Volcano's dogbones when the arms are at the maximum suspension travel. Sometimes the dogbones have too much lateral movement; allowing the bone's crosspin to catch the edge of a drive cup, or axle. This will sometimes snap/bend a bone real quick. I'm not sure if this is the problem you are having, or not. Placing an o-ring, or something similar, on each end of the dogbone will help keep it centered through out the suspension/steering travel.

Some had good luck with these, others say they are junk. For the price, I'd probably give them a whirl...https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Universal+Shaft+08046+For+RC+Redcat+1/10+Volcano+&_sacat=0

Your dogbone measurement is from pin to pin, or the entire length, end to end? Also, no info on the diameter of the dogbone "ball" or the crosspin diameter/length. There's quite a variation from dogbone to dogbone and not every bone fits every drive cup or axle.

Any time there are dogbones used in the frontend of an RC, I'd check for binding when the steering is fully turn to the left/right. Also check your Volcano's dogbones when the arms are at the maximum suspension travel. Sometimes the dogbones have too much lateral movement; allowing the bone's crosspin to catch the edge of a drive cup, or axle. This will sometimes snap/bend a bone real quick. I'm not sure if this is the problem you are having, or not. Placing an o-ring, or something similar, on each end of the dogbone will help keep it centered through out the suspension/steering travel.

So do I put it at the end on the inside or in between the drive cup and dogbone? I do know that when the suspension reaches full travel, the outer part of the drive cup hits the shaft. They have a lot of damage at the where the ball end starts. There are large dents and digs from the drive cup. I also broke a drive cup from the dogbone as well

So do I put it at the end on the inside or in between the drive cup and dogbone? I do know that when the suspension reaches full travel, the outer part of the drive cup hits the shaft. They have a lot of damage at the where the ball end starts. There are large dents and digs from the drive cup. I also broke a drive cup from the dogbone as well
I'm guessing he means down inside the cup so the tip of the bone rests against it. If there's enough slop that is to allow for it. I know I use o-rings on my savage in the front on the dog bones because when I turn and the suspension articulates, the bone comes close to popping out of the cup. So there are o-rings in the diff side cup that help push the bone into the outer cup with enough slop so that the bone can move back and forth a bit. If there's not enough slop, then when the suspension articulates, it will jam up and likely bend the bone.

Check this video out about suspension adjusting.

I put springs from some old click pens cut up a few mm's long in the diff output cups and axle cups also in the front or you can use something like this https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-parts/r...al-output-joint-spring-evader-ext-4-dtxc7337/ keeps the dog bone centered also helps keeping them from popping out while allowing dog bone movement.
How do you keep the springs in place while your trying to assemble? I like that better than the o-rings as they tend to get chewed up over time.

How do you keep the springs in place while your trying to assemble? I like that better than the o-rings as they tend to get chewed up over time.

It's been awhile but I believe I took the camber link off turned the wheel out to the side put the spring in the axle cup and diff cup put the dog bone in the axle cup turned the wheel back into the chassis with the dog bone in the axle cup put it in the diff cup and put the camber link back on. You might be able to get away with using a o-ring in the diff cup and spring in the axle cup. The springs have to be the right length or the dog bone could end up slipping out or popping out of either end. I do a test of the travel moving the suspension up and down and turning the wheels left and right and watch how the dog bone moves. I still bent a dog bone every now and then but never had one pop out or break again.

Last edited:
It's been awhile but I believe I took the camber link off turned the wheel out to the side put the spring in the axle cup and diff cup put the dog bone in the axle cup turned the wheel back into the chassis with the dog bone in the axle cup put it in the diff cup and put the camber link back on. You might be able to get away with using a o-ring in the diff cup and spring in the axle cup. The springs have to be the right length or the dog bone could end up slipping out or popping out of either end. I do a test of the travel moving the suspension up and down and turning the wheels left and right and watch how the dog bone moves. I still bent a dog bone every now and then but never had one pop out or break again.

When I bend dogbone shafts, I straighten them out again and just keep using them. I would imagine eventually they would break after being bent several times. Do you know what pens you get the springs from from? or do you just trim any spring to size.