Looking at getting into 1/8 truggy.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patsfan40

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I'm still relatively new to the hobby but am mechanically inclined. I currently have a ecx ruckus with all metal gears and a castle 3500kv motor. Looking for something more durable and that is faster. I was looking at the arrma kraton but the wife said it's to expensive so what are my other alternatives I want a 1/8 truggy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I actually just bought a 1/8 truggy slider I need help Identifying it

Screenshot_20181002-231638_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20181002-231648_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20181002-231629_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20181002-224356_Samsung Internet.jpg

@Patsfan40 what is your budget for your buggy?
I actually just bought that slider I'm looking at putting it together once I know what it is. What is a cheaper but good option to the castle creations mamba x?

You are going to have a lot of work with that truck. It is missing 3 drive shafts, with another possibly broken. Center diff need a top plate. Front shocks missing. Front body mount broken. I don't know what it is, but it has a AE look to it to me. for sure, it started life as a nitro model, then converted to brushless. You may google pics of the AE RC8T and see if it matches.

As for budget power, one cheap option would be to pick up a Arrma BLX185 ESC and motor for about $120 off the ebay kit breakers. To get cheaper than that, you would need to look at the GoolRC/Surpass/Racerstar combos, but those ESCs often don't work out of the box. But if you get a good one, they are decent, so long as you don't get them wet.

For a servo, look at the JX servos - they have some decent servos for < $20. This one is $12, 20kg, and .16s at 6v. https://www.banggood.com/JX-PDI-622...=detail-bottom-alsobought__1&cur_warehouse=CN

What is your total budget for this build? Less than $500, I am guessing. :)

You are going to have a lot of work with that truck. It is missing 3 drive shafts, with another possibly broken. Center diff need a top plate. Front shocks missing. Front body mount broken. I don't know what it is, but it has a AE look to it to me. for sure, it started life as a nitro model, then converted to brushless. You may google pics of the AE RC8T and see if it matches.

As for budget power, one cheap option would be to pick up a Arrma BLX185 ESC and motor for about $120 off the ebay kit breakers. To get cheaper than that, you would need to look at the GoolRC/Surpass/Racerstar combos, but those ESCs often don't work out of the box. But if you get a good one, they are decent, so long as you don't get them wet.

For a servo, look at the JX servos - they have some decent servos for < $20. This one is $12, 20kg, and .16s at 6v. https://www.banggood.com/JX-PDI-622...=detail-bottom-alsobought__1&cur_warehouse=CN

What is your total budget for this build? Less than $500, I am guessing. :)
Yes I know it's a lot of work I picked up the slider for 60 bucks. As far a budget I would like to stay under 600. I just want something for bashing that goes close to 50 mph and is more reliable than my 2wd ruckus.its keeps blowing rear bearings.

@WoodiE my budget is going to be less that $600 preferably less than 500 do you have any idea what that slider is I bought?

@Jerry-Rigged it does look like a ae but the front body mounts on all the ones I looked at were all close together not far apart like that one.

It looks like an older model ,an its hard to tell because someone has already been putting
other parts on it ,it does look like an Ae. motor mount for a brushless!

So it has parts on it from other brands?

Do the chassis have markings on them?

Do the chassis have markings on them?

That truggy you got ,some of the parts were taken off ,like batt. & rec. box ,an it appears that its already being altered!
The boxes would have the name on them a lot of times!.
Maybe the person will throw that stuff in the package if he still has them!

@cbaker65 Yeah I don't think I'm that lucky.i food this picture will you take a look at it and see if they are the same

1538688026498.png

@cbaker65 Yeah I don't think I'm that lucky.i food this picture will you take a look at it and see if they are the same

Lol....My eye's hurt ,they all looked the same in that era!

I went back an looked ,The Ofna came close ,but the only thing would be replacing running gear parts
like the front & rear diffs an axles if they need to be replaced when needed!

On another note ,I see the newer model brands ,the companies are making the chassis indents if you noticed!

The thing with Ofna ,is they made several different versions of truggies & buggies!...:hehe:

The thing with Ofna ,is they made several different versions of truggies & buggies!...:hehe:

I think they are rebranded with hong nor or something like that!

I think I will take it to my closest hobby shop when i get it it's like 3 hours away.lol

So if it is ofna I can still get parts right?

So do they still make ofna parts?

That looks pretty close as far as body mounts. I feel I got jipped now .lol