Savage XL, Savage Octane tank and radio box?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6FtUndR87

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am converting my savage x ss to xl and am curious if anyone has (or if it is possible)done a octane radio box and fuel tank on an xl.... trying to get around the half tank lean issue without jimmy rigging anything...i want it to be as clean as possible. any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

I am converting my savage x ss to xl and am curious if anyone has (or if it is possible)done a octane radio box and fuel tank on an xl.... trying to get around the half tank lean issue without jimmy rigging anything...i want it to be as clean as possible. any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

I will try my best to answer this if i understand it correctly

you are wanting to move your truck over to the XL chassis platform and want to use the radio box from the octane,

i asked myself this question quite some time ago,

looking at the XL and the octane chassis the mounting points are different for the gearbox and radio/battery box so what i could ascertain is that it would not be possible

your best bet would be too look into converting to the octane chassis

i'm not sure I'm correct but i think you could reuse your front and rear diff housing and they are likely still using mostly the same part numbers for most of the parts except the redesigned stuff like the centre gearbox, fuel tank, front servo mounts, etc but i would stress to cross reference the manuals to be sure

if you go down the route of converting to an octane chassis cross reference part numbers between your current savage and the octane to see what parts you can keep vs what you will need to replace, you may be able to keep a lot of parts and just change the housings of the gearbox etc

Nitro rcs run on exhaust pressure forcing fuel through the tank.

Gas engines suck the fuek up. Gas tanks arent sealed like a nitro tank. Its not a vood choice

Nitro rcs run on exhaust pressure forcing fuel through the tank.

Gas engines suck the fuek up. Gas tanks arent sealed like a nitro tank. Its not a vood choice

nitro also suck the fuel from the tank

its a non issue, just hook the carb return line from the octane fuel tank up to the exhaust that will pressurize the tank, i'm not sure but if the octane fuel tank has a vent hole just plug it

would be pretty straight forward

if i could find a savage octane roller in the uk i would change chassis myself

Nitro doesn't suck. Exhaust pressurizes the tank pushing the fuel through.

Pkugging vent lines is exactly one of the reasons to stay away from the octane tank. Another is tge fuel cap.

The smallest pressure leak will cause tuning issues.

Nitro doesn't suck. Exhaust pressurizes the tank pushing the fuel through.

Pkugging vent lines is exactly one of the reasons to stay away from the octane tank. Another is tge fuel cap.

The smallest pressure leak will cause tuning issues.

to avoid a peeing contest i agree to disagree, we both have different experience i'm not going to throw out a i ran this for x years just going to give my 2c

nitro carbs as virtually every carb petrol/gas or otherwise will use the venturi effect in some way or another, yes nitro use the exhaust line for extra pressure as some gas use a fuel pump, a nitro can run without extra pressure like gas but may endup being lean and endup being a pain to tune

as i said i would use the return line to pressurise the tank, ( black tube on the octane tank )

the fuel tank cap will be fine i doubt hpi would allow a tank to be designed where fuel could slosh around and escape from around the cap,

think of a gas grass trimmer/weedwacker and the way most of the tanks are orientated when in use more often than not fuel is sitting against the cap but not leaking out but usually seeping from the vent, it's just common sense for a fuel tank to have a good seal on the cap for the safety of the operator

plugging the vent hole or tube if it has one ( doesn't look like it from what i can see ) that will ensure the tank stays pressurized if it does have a hole use a screw with a suitable O'Ring/grommet if its a hose use a stopper that's common for plugin nitro fuel lines

i'm using a 400cc aircraft tank mounted behind the engine of my savage, all i had to do was plug the 3rd hole for the filler tube with a nut and bolt, its airtight and works perfectly although a little unsightly but it fixed the annoying mid tank lean issue and doubled my run time

just have to think outside of the box just because something is made for one application does not mean it can't be used for another, nothing wrong with trial and error

we both have differing opinions and methods to do it both are valid one just uses some improvisation and modification, just depends on how you look at it and how you want to execute it

from looking at it i know it may look like it would work i thought that when i initially thought about converting to the octane platform but after i looked into it it was pretty straight forward although it will need some modification for the position of the engine as the octane engine has a larger footprint and different mounting points on the engine plate

it is doable but the required modifications are not really worth the benefits if any of the octane chassis other than the option to fit the 15cc gas engine in the future

Sorry for the long post didn't expect to type a wall of text,

Because a tank doesn't leak fuel doesn't mean it tont keak pressure. It takes a muck tighter seal. The octane is a corse threaded screw cap. Nitros have a spribg tension oringed lid.

There is another concerning spot on the octane tank where the lines come out. Looks kike the lines are just shoved througg the grommet. That dont pressureize well.

I realize that any tank can be converted. The question is how much time is it worth. There are many nitro tanks that have been used and posted here.

Back