New to Savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. I ordered a set of XL chassis plates and a servo plate. Of course now I can't find a 142mm dog bone. This HPI parts shortage is no fun.

@rock-rod Where it is difficult to get the parts, have to tried to submerge the tank in water? With a hose on one tap, blocking the others and blow into the hose... See if it's just leaking thru the filler hole seal? Maybe a new seal would be easier to get. Def easier than retrofitting another tank. Just a thought.

First thing I checked was the tank. It's brand new and tests good with no leaks. It actually runs really well until the tank is about half way down (to where the stepped section is) and then it runs lean. I can richen the hsn up a little fix the issue but then it has to be retuned the next time the fuel tank is filled. Parts are hard to come by but I did manage to find everything needed to stretch this truck out to the xl wheel base. More to come once the parts arrive over the next few weeks.

Ok cool. Just thinking maybe it could have saved you some drama. Seems nothing is ever easy! :hehe: Hope to see some pics or even better, some vids of it running soon!

Finally received the brake upgrade kit after it went from CA to Hawaii to CO. Installation was tricky because I found the screws that hold the calipers were stripped out in the plastic transmission case. So....some longer screws and a little improvising got things sorted. Brakes work much better and are far less grabby.

Still waiting on the parts to convert to the xl chassis. Should hopefully have them next week.

I'm jealous! I would have loved to take that trip! :hehe: By the sounds of it, the stripped screws were likely the source of your original issue... I'm sure the upgrade will make you happy for years to come tho. Well worth the investment as I've heard. I plan on using that system on my associated. It uses the same hex as far as I can tell.

So the only thing missing to make this thing run is a rear center dog bone. Chassis plate swap is done and everything transferred over. Also solved the tank problem and installed an mbx6t tank in place of the stock tank. It's a little smaller but will hopefully solve the mtl issue. I did find that the header was not sealing to the engine very well. A new silicon ring solved that and now it's a tight fit.

I like the increased length. It makes the truck look more balanced. Can't wait to take it out.

The smaller tank will just shorten your run time between fills. So long as it's not tiny, you'll be good to go! ( not at all familiar with the mbx6t tank) The longer wheel base will make your rig more stable over all. A wise conversion imo.
The poor seal in the exhaust could have a drastic effect on the tune, finding and fixing that is GREAT! I'm sure you'll find it has more power and runs more stable from idle to WOT! Def looking forward to a vid or 2 now!!!!!:thumbs-up:

i gave up on the LRP. Still could not get it to run quite right and the roto start one-way bearing failed again. I installed the K4.6 and I am currently working through the break-in process. So far it's been super easy to work. I have a brand new in the box Picco Boost .28 that was bought when I was racing a mugen truggy. It *may* end up in this Savage at some point.

i gave up on the LRP. Still could not get it to run quite right and the roto start one-way bearing failed again.
I couldn't get mine running right either with the stock tank, no matter what trick I tried with fuel line, moving the tank...

Bummer!!! Sorry to hear there wasn't a save there for you. (i would imagine the answer is out there but if you already have another engine, go for it!) Was there ANY evidence of a leak at the bearing somewhere?

Figured it's time for an update. Not long after installed the picco boost I somehow managed to blow the stock 2 speed. It's stripped the output shaft gear. I replaced it with a 3 speed (updated the output gears to the hardened steel ones). I also found an FLM extended LCD chassis and decided to swap it out for the XL chassis. Of course it only gets better from there. I relocated the tank to the front/center of the chassis and moved the throttle servo to where the original tank was located. Also the tank itself was upgraded to one from a tekno truggy and has the clunk. The mid tank lean issues is completely gone :). This think runs like a beast. The picco boost is a fantastic engine (easy to tune and runs cool). My race revo will still blow the doors off the savage but from fun factor, the savage is off the charts!

Let's hope hpi starts bringing more parts into the country! The pickings are getting slim.

Figured it's time for an update. Not long after installed the picco boost I somehow managed to blow the stock 2 speed. It's stripped the output shaft gear. I replaced it with a 3 speed (updated the output gears to the hardened steel ones). I also found an FLM extended LCD chassis and decided to swap it out for the XL chassis. Of course it only gets better from there. I relocated the tank to the front/center of the chassis and moved the throttle servo to where the original tank was located. Also the tank itself was upgraded to one from a tekno truggy and has the clunk. The mid tank lean issues is completely gone :). This think runs like a beast. The picco boost is a fantastic engine (easy to tune and runs cool). My race revo will still blow the doors off the savage but from fun factor, the savage is off the charts!

Let's hope hpi starts bringing more parts into the country! The pickings are getting slim.

A big factor is ,what terrain do you run on?
Different terrains can play a roll in the drive train!

Example:asphalt on an off throttle can kill a high torq monster truck drive tran.! I'm GUILTY OF THAT!..:p

@cbaker65. You've Def built a couple 'can't be done' monsters for sure! I've got to give you credit on your ability to keep them driving straight for sure! :thumbs-up: :hehe:

A big factor is ,what terrain do you run on?
Different terrains can play a roll in the drive train!

Example:asphalt on an off throttle can kill a high torq monster truck drive tran.! I'm GUILTY OF THAT!..:p

Lol. I been known to drive stupid like that too. What got me is that I was still breaking the engine in so it wasn't making near the power it does now. At any rate all is good now. The beefed 3spd is holding up to some pretty insane antics.

Lol. I been known to drive stupid like that too. What got me is that I was still breaking the engine in so it wasn't making near the power it does now. At any rate all is good now. The beefed 3spd is holding up to some pretty insane antics.

Well .I noticed a difference in the wear & tear from a dirt field with huge jumps ,from the street!

Dirt fields an jumps ,I break a-arms an small stuff.

The street , I snap pins in the trans due to the torq,

So my remedy ,is to loosen up the spur gear up about a 1/4 turn when I change terrain!...:D

Tire height will also help with extreme torque/melting slippers.

I don't melt slippers ,I modded my spur gears with ball bearings!...:p

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

That's pretty slick! Obviously it works well. 2 thumbs up!!! :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

Back