Red Cat Engine ShockWave

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexAxxx

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Rc Gas Fans. Hey I`m havin trouble with this RedCat Engine. 4Get its a RedCat Ok, I no theres mixed reviews on it LoL Anyways I had it runnin Great 4awhile just sittin there LoL Its New an still tryin break Engine in with out Killin the Engine. Its weird though I finally get it running let run 2 out Fuel. Y wont it start back UP and it Bcomes hard to Pull start it, When it was easy at times. Sometimes I can feal the difference N the pull rope. Thats My ? Y does it go from easy to pull to hard? Whats going on N Engine to do that?

Hi Rc Gas Fans. Hey I`m havin trouble with this RedCat Engine. 4Get its a RedCat Ok, I no theres mixed reviews on it LoL Anyways I had it runnin Great 4awhile just sittin there LoL Its New an still tryin break Engine in with out Killin the Engine. Its weird though I finally get it running let run 2 out Fuel. Y wont it start back UP and it Bcomes hard to Pull start it, When it was easy at times. Sometimes I can feal the difference N the pull rope. Thats My ? Y does it go from easy to pull to hard? Whats going on N Engine to do that?

Possibly going into a hydraulic lock ,which means too much fuel is in the top end!
Try leaning the Hsn in a 1/2 a turn.
To check hydro lock ,pull the glow plug an see if that releases the pressure!...:cool:

I know from experience that the redcat shockwave .16 engine comes with the glow plug to tight, I would loosen it a little while starting it for the first few times to let everything sync, then tighten it up, good luck!

No offence intended but please post in regular English in the future.
It sounds like the hydrolock is likely the issue. If it keeps doing the same thing after the lsp is adjusted down, you may want to loosen the plug slightly while you are trying to start it. Once it fires, you can snug it back up. Good luck!!!

Possibly going into a hydraulic lock ,which means too much fuel is in the top end!
Try leaning the Hsn in a 1/2 a turn.
To check hydro lock ,pull the glow plug an see if that releases the pressure!...:cool:
ThanX Bro. That Helped allot, Spot on

No offence intended but please post in regular English in the future.
It sounds like the hydrolock is likely the issue. If it keeps doing the same thing after the lsp is adjusted down, you may want to loosen the plug slightly while you are trying to start it. Once it fires, you can snug it back up. Good luck!!!
LoL I speak Beer English half the time. ThanX 4 U reply. Hey now its going out there a distance an stallin, I had it idoling good but I run it high speed a minute it gets out there and stalls and shuts down. Wich way do I need 2 go, Is it running lean R rich?

I know from experience that the redcat shockwave .16 engine comes with the glow plug to tight, I would loosen it a little while starting it for the first few times to let everything sync, then tighten it up, good luck!
ThanX Good info. 4Sho

ThanX 4 U reply. Hey now its going out there a distance an stallin, I had it idoling good but I run it high speed a minute it gets out there and stalls and shuts down. Wich way do I need 2 go, Is it running lean R rich?

ThanX 4 U reply. Hey now its going out there a distance an stallin, I had it idoling good but I run it high speed a minute it gets out there and stalls and shuts down. Wich way do I need 2 go, Is it running lean R rich?

Last edited:
Hey Man u said got a RedCat Shockwave? How did u first break it an tune it?

Just want to be sure you've got the idle set properly before you go on to other adjustments. The idle is first. Should be set at approx 1mm gap. Be sure your throttle trim adjustment on your transmitter is set to neutral. From there, I would say if it is still running the same, I would look at low speed first and get it so it is idling correctly. It seems from what you've typed, that you want to lower the low speed needle. Drop it in small equal measurments... Try it at 1/4 turns first. Then to 1/8 turns. (it's easier to undo adjustments when they are always made in the same increments)

Ah, I read a few more of your posts... Is it possible you could explain once exactly how it is behaving? I got confused between them. I am happy to help but I need clarification. Thanx!

Also, just to be more clear still, are you still breaking in? Also, when it is running at idle and up til where it dies out. How does the smoke out of the exhaust look? Is it thick, thin or not at all?
If you go to try and restart right after it dies, are you still getting your hydrolock issues? What does your glow plug look like? Posting a pic would be helpful for describe the color and the condition of it in detail.
Be sure that the line from the exhaust to the fuel tank is clear of any obstructions and that it isn't getting kinked anywhere. (check all the fuel lines for this)

Last edited:
ThanX Bro. That Helped allot, Spot on

LoL I speak Beer English half the time. ThanX 4 U reply. Hey now its going out there a distance an stallin, I had it idoling good but I run it high speed a minute it gets out there and stalls and shuts down. Wich way do I need 2 go, Is it running lean R rich?

ThanX Good info. 4Sho

It sounds like you need to richen the Lsn a little!..:cool:

Back