What is a good nitro buggy to buy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B's cars

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a nitro powered rc buggy that goes atleast 60 mph. I really want a buggy between 1/8th scale to 1/10 scale not a truck or truggy but i dont know whats best. I was looking at redcats backdraft 3.5 but idk how fast it goes is it good. I also want a buggy that has a air filter. Do you guys have any suggestions? My budget is 500-600 U.S. dollars

$500-$600 is quiet a lot of money for a beginner buggy, and you'll be very pleased with one from the $350-$400 range. Although speed may seem important at first, what you really want is durability and handling in a buggy. Speed also is so greatly affected by tune of the engine and current weather, it's almost impossible to put a set top speed on a RC nitro vehicle. From this range, I'd look at The HPI Trophy 3.5, HPI Savage, Kyosho Inferno, Hyper 7 or the Losi 8ight. Have a look around and see what you fancy, but I'd +1 to the redcat advice.

$500-$600 is quiet a lot of money for a beginner buggy, and you'll be very pleased with one from the $350-$400 range. Although speed may seem important at first, what you really want is durability and handling in a buggy. Speed also is so greatly affected by tune of the engine and current weather, it's almost impossible to put a set top speed on a RC nitro vehicle. From this range, I'd look at The HPI Trophy 3.5, HPI Savage, Kyosho Inferno, Hyper 7 or the Losi 8ight. Have a look around and see what you fancy, but I'd +1 to the redcat advice.
thanks for the advice i think i will go ahead and tryout the kyosho inferno mp9 tk13 t1 It looks pretty sturdy and durable however once again i can't find anything about its top speed? Thanks!

thanks for the advice i think i will go ahead and tryout the kyosho inferno mp9 tk13 t1 It looks pretty sturdy and durable however once again i can't find anything about its top speed? Thanks!
Top speeds posted by most manufacturers are optimistic at best. Durability is a better goal. Top speed ultimately has to do with the surface you're running on, gearing and temperatures.

As mentioned, top speed is really dependent on the engine (power) and gearing. You said you wanted a buggy, no MT, no truggy, which means, your pretty much stuck with a single speed. Every "buggy" I'm aware of has been a single speed with a center diff. I have run across a few aftermarket/upgrade 2-speed kits for buggies, but they really cut down on durability because the center diff is what allows the load to be transferred to the front or rear when landing off jumps. With a solid center axle, your more prone to diff/axle/gear failure. Which is also why pretty much every 2 speed offroad rig has a slipper clutch on it.

I do know that OFNA used to sell a 2 speed conversion for their buggies, but it was recommended it be used only for on-road purposes. XTM used to have one too. I'm not even sure if XTM is in business and a few places recently I've read that OFNA isn't either. OFNA really made the best bang for your buck 1/8th buggies.

Getting 60+ MPH on anything offroad isn't impossible, just impractical. Running across terrain that isn't flat concrete at much over 30mph is tough to control. The faster it goes, the more unstable things get.

If top speed is what your looking for, it's easier to get there with nitro if there's a 2 speed trans. I'm sure it can be done with a single speed, but you would be geared pretty tall off the line and your clutch would take a lot of abuse as it would slip quite a bit until the vehicle caught up with the engine.

I agree with what everyone mentioned. Top end speed is cool but you usually sacrifice bottom end punch to get there,
I'd rather have bottom end grunt to accelerate out of a corner and whatnot.
My buggies average about 40-45 mph which is plenty fast for these type of rigs IMO

As I previously mentioned, durability is always more important than top speed. Their estimates are inaccurate too- it all depends on the tune of the engine and weather conditions.

As I previously mentioned, durability is always more important than top speed. Their estimates are inaccurate too- it all depends on the tune of the engine and weather conditions.
It also depends on the terrain that you're running on. A clay/dirt mixture track will always be faster than a grass one.

I'd avoid hpi Savage lie the plague if I where you. The company has gon into receivership so after market support is non existent. Also, there cars are over complicated and slow. I'd go for HSP if I where you.

I'd avoid HPI Savage lie the plague if I where you. The company has gon into receivership so after market support is non existent. Also, there cars are over complicated and slow. I'd go for HSP if I where you.
Sorry, but no. HPI has gone into receivership, but only Europe. Not america. The HPI savage is a great vehicle, parts will be round for years and years due to their popularity and customer support is still great.

Traxxas has the best support and parts are everywhere. HPI is good too.