Plasti Dip on a 1:1

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Anybody used it on the 1:1? I'm thinking about plasti dipping the wheels on my truck but I'm not 100% sure yet. Earlier today I grabbed an old piece of metal and did a test run with plasti dip with a shiny clear coat. I didn't warm it up or shake it enough so it's not the smoothest but not bad. I read something interesting about plasti dip that I didn't know so I tested it. You can lay down a coat then let it completely dry but every time you add a coat the previous coats that were dry will be wet again. I laid down two coats and let them dry, when I added the third coat I rubbed a small area and it was wet all the way down to the metal. This should make removing masking easy without worrying about peeling up the dry lays.

Three coats of plasti dip and two coats of clear, I put the last coat of clear too thick.

plasti%20clear%20test_zps4vxukv9w.jpg

I din't use clear plasti dip I sprayed a cleat coat over the plasti dip to give it a shine

I plasti-dipped the handles on all my open end wrenches, ratchets, sockets, pipe wrenches....pretty much every tool I could. I did all handles in Daytona yellow. Had to be done, I got into a rather loud bickering match with another truck operator that thought I was just going to roll over, and let him replace tools that he, and/or his helper lost with tools from my truck, but wasn't willing to have my cheque garnished to replace 'em.

I've heard that quite a few people plasti-dip their car. It acts like a wrap, so you can peel it off if you don't like it.

Just DONT get any gas on it!!!!!!

I din't use clear plasti dip I sprayed a cleat coat over the plasti dip to give it a shine
Don't you think that might crack the finish since the dip is flexible and the clear is crisp?

Bike looks beautiful, James, but I never knew it wasn't fuel proof paint. Maybe it's just curing time?

Bike looks beautiful, James, but I never knew it wasn't fuel proof paint. Maybe it's just curing time?

No. Gas turns it into jelly and disgustingness.

James they sell a Plasti Dip glossifier, that might help protect it from gas but I have not seen or read anything that says that.

Don't you think that might crack the finish since the dip is flexible and the clear is crisp?

It might crack I really don't know but that's why I did the test :thumbs-up:

I played with masking it today, again I did really take my time but my goal was to spray several coats over masking tape letting each coat dry and see if the last coat would liquefy all of the previous coats enough to pull the tape clean.

I put 3 coats letting each coat dry before putting the next.
diptest1_zpslpziyk4p.jpg

I pulled the tape as soon as the third coat was sprayed, not bad but not great either.
diptest2_zpsfzdmbacm.jpg

Last edited:
I like it flat black. But its the wife's bike so its gonna be painted Candy Apple Red soon anyway. I used a razor knife when pulling the masking. It was the only way to get the lines straight.

For a fuel proof coating try something like Rhino Lining or Line-X.

Only issue is that is perminant.

It's going to be an interesting weekend.

dip%20dip_zps50mrjbdm.jpg

That's a lot. I did the whole motorcycle and my brothers truck grill with two cans. Lol

I did the badge on my tailgate and all 4 wheels with two cans, 4 coats on everything. I'm also doing the wheels and trim on my sons Jeep, all of the black trim has turned light grey.

I did the badge on my tailgate and all 4 wheels with two cans, 4 coats on everything. I'm also doing the wheels and trim on my sons Jeep, all of the black trim has turned light grey.

Try Mothers Back to Black o nthe trim.

Back