Need help finding a replacement clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electroplated

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with rc cars, especially Nitro ones but I offered to try and get one running for a friend who had one collecting dust in his garage that he'd been given years ago.

So far I've had to replace the one way bearing, the roto start unit as it had lost 3 teeth on the gearing, all the batteries, upgraded the 27MHZ radio to a modern 2.4GHZ one, replaced the throttle servo, changed the air filter and all 4 wheels.... all was running perfectly and then the clutch exploded!

I'm not sure what a suitable replacement part might be or where to find one - the engine is a Sirio .27 aftermarket one and the car is a Protech Enigma XS

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a replacement part please?

I've had these shoes and springs suggested but I'm not sure if they are suitable and also think I might need some other parts (bearings/shims/pilot nut?)

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?product_id=15697- Clutch shoes

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?product_id=17231- Clutch springs

Attachments

• IMG_6894.jpg
    IMG_6894.jpg
    892.8 KB · Views: 239
That is the price you have to pay with these RC sometimes it's half the fun.

Can't say for sure as I'm not sure if those shoes/springs are for 1/10 or 1/8 sized flywheel/bell. Since you said 27 Sirio (haven't heard that name in many years), I'm assuming your looking for a 1/8 scale setup.

You can usually find decent RTR shoes/flywheels on ebay all together for pretty cheap.

Teflon shoes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Savage-...earings-17T-/381354349866?hash=item58ca7d952a

Alloy shoes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16T-CLUTCH-...vage-XL-5-9-/251922337835?hash=item3aa7bdd02b

Then you just need to worry about a shim kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ofna-1-8th-...6363a6&pid=100338&rk=1&rkt=11&sd=361375112211

Thank you! Yes it's 1/8 - those links are just what I needed :)

I think I'm running the alloy set on my BB revo at the moment and the teflon set on my SB revo. Got tired of slippage on the BB revo. Come to find out... it's running slayer gears in the trans. Explains so much as to why I keep seeing guys with BB's running much taller gearing than me. That said, the larger spur keeps the engine from leaning as much as it would if I was running proper gears...

Regardless, the HPI 3-shoe has treated me well on many vehicles. I ran the teflon shoes on many rigs in the past with very little issue.

I think I'm running the alloy set on my BB revo at the moment and the teflon set on my SB revo. Got tired of slippage on the BB revo. Come to find out... it's running slayer gears in the trans. Explains so much as to why I keep seeing guys with BB's running much taller gearing than me. That said, the larger spur keeps the engine from leaning as much as it would if I was running proper gears...

Regardless, the HPI 3-shoe has treated me well on many vehicles. I ran the teflon shoes on many rigs in the past with very little issue.

I'm running a revo with a lrp .30x does it matter if i use a 1/10th clutch or 1/8th

Depends on the engine mount you have or if you want to move the trans forward 1/4" or so. A big block clutch won't fit without moving the trans forward as you also need to get a BB bell so the shoes have enough surface to contact with. The BB mounts usually are cut so the stock bell/flywheel/clutch can be used with a big block engine. So, with that in mind, here's how much I had to move my trans forward to fit a BB flywheel/clutch on my OS18TM revo when I got tired of frying stock clutch shoes:
2006-0522-RevoSavageClutchMoveTrans.jpg

When I got my NE BB mount, I was able to use the same flywheel/bell/shoes on the big block without messing with it. I had the new era mount, which will allow you to slide the engine back some by loosening the screws and putting washers in as shims to take up the space and tighten the screws back down. I didn't do that though since I already moved the trans forward. Had to grind out the chassis a little bit by the brake disk, egging out the 4 trans bolt holes and after everything fit and was lined up, I also drilled 2 new holes through the chassis and flange on the trans case so I could run a bolt/nut through to make sure the trans was keyed to the chassis. You can see the screw heads in this pic:
2006-0526-RevoSavageClutchTransBottom.jpg

You can also see evidence by the front of the trans when I ground out the chassis a little so the trans would slide forward. Dremel slipped a few times...

My current OS21TM revo came with MIP center cvd's, so I can't move the trans forward. So, I'm running an integy 7075 alumnium 2 shoe clutch which seems to be doing pretty good so far.

Last edited: