Can I increase my compression?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrdavis72

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I was told at hobby shop that my compression is a little low. Is there a way to restore it or increase it without buying a new motor? The flywheel still has lots of resistance when I turn it with my fingers. Do I just replace piston and sleeve. Still runs fine just wondering.

If it still runs good, I would run it. Those engines were kinda known for splitting rod journals long before they wear out. There are beefy rods out thrre, so WHEN you rebuild, get a good rod and new sleeve/pis. You will have more in a rebuild but you will be better off imo.

There are also good aftermarket engines for traxxas

Picco max .21 is a good one...anything more than that and your gunna need some serious upgrades!..even the .21s will eat up Trans gears and and also diffs if there not shimmed

An engine with low compression will usually have problems running at lower RPMs and may not idle. If you like the engine you can restore the piston to sleeve fit and have compression of a new engine by having the piston/sleeve squeezed. I have done this a number of times and it always restores the pinch to the engine and makes it run like new. It usually cost $10 t0 $20 to have this done and it is worth the $$$.

To have this done, check with Murnan Modified or do a search of RCtech for RayA (Ray Aronica). Both of these guys do a great job.

Lee
I was told at hobby shop that my compression is a little low. Is there a way to restore it or increase it without buying a new motor? The flywheel still has lots of resistance when I turn it with my fingers. Do I just replace piston and sleeve. Still runs fine just wondering.

When asking for help you need to disclose all information. What I'm talking about is the super charger you have on your engine. I guarantee you that is the culprit to your low compression problem, they cause the motor to run to lean.

Yup, dump the stupid charger, replace the piston and sleeve and then you'll be right as rain.

If it still runs good, I would run it. Those engines were kinda known for splitting rod journals long before they wear out. There are beefy rods out thrre, so WHEN you rebuild, get a good rod and new sleeve/pis. You will have more in a rebuild but you will be better off imo.
Just pinch your sleeve

Back