Traxxas EZ-Start life hack!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith

Dirt Oval Addict!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Okay guys, I've owned multiple of the traxxas ez starts and at least 2/3 of them always get the annoying slipping one way bearing. You can always disassemble and clean, but who has time for that out bashing? My solution is so simple, quick and easy.
On the easy start plastic cover where the TRX emblem is, take a drill bit the size of your aerosol can straw and make a hole on the top v of the X. ( I didn't use a power drill, just used my fingers so absolute tool control was achieved.)Then, with a smaller bit, a drain hole at the bottom.
When your ez-start begins free wheeling, use a can of nitro clean ( preferred because it's safe for plastics ) and just a burst with the straw into the hole on the X. Instantly back to playing instead of twisting wrenches. I've done it to all mine, and everyone that I've showed have followed my lead. Knock on wood, I've had no problems whatsoever.
This may be common knowledge, but I stumbled onto it myself and no one else I know knew about it. If it helps, enjoy!

Nice tip! I never had any problems with my ez start but then again I only had it on for a few runs before going to pull start. I hated that damn ez start!

This is exactly what I hated about ez-start and have 100% eliminated the need for engine being pulled to clean the bearing. Now, just a squirt and good to continue.

I don’t often use the EZ start, but when I did (back in the day) I drank Dos Equis… I mean it hade the hole.

Yep, the hole should be in the center of the owb, it makes it EZ’r for the cleaner/oil to get inside.
WD40 also works well, I never tried the nitro cleaner as I don’t use that expensive stuff.

DSC04664.gif

DSC04665.gif

Or Traxxas could stop releasing untested crap and fix it when they realize there's a problem. They wouldn't have such a toy reputation with some people... Awesome hint though for the hundreds and hundreds of people who prefer the EZ start or are forced to use it for one reason or another. I race, so I'm going bump start for now on. Then I can rid of the chance of air leaks on that entire area of the motor, stop fooling around with one way bearings on my pull start, and pretend like the few ounces of weight is going to make me a better driver :)

Or Traxxas could stop releasing untested crap and fix it when they realize there's a problem. They wouldn't have such a toy reputation with some people... Awesome hint though for the hundreds and hundreds of people who prefer the EZ start or are forced to use it for one reason or another. I race, so I'm going bump start for now on. Then I can rid of the chance of air leaks on that entire area of the motor, stop fooling around with one way bearings on my pull start, and pretend like the few ounces of weight is going to make me a better driver :)

The technical dept at Traxxas is not going to admit that they have problems with anything. And if you do ask about a legitimate concern, they will tell you that they have not really had problems with what you are talking about and that will be the end of the conversation. I asked them why they do not improve the connecting rod in the 3.3 engine and they told me they felt that it wasn't a problem. I ask them "if it's not a problem, then why does someone make an after market rod with bushings at both ends"? I got the same answer and the conversation was done. The 3.3 is a nice engine for the price, but it's just a shame that you have to purchase a $40 rod if you want to keep the engine going. I just think that it's something they should address and correct.

And this is exactly what I did waaay back in 2005 on my Thunder Tiger Pull start, then on every subsequent pull start I own. Nice to see the idea caught on!

Pull dust bung, quick squirt of cleaner, replace dust bung, job done and back to playing!

Last edited:
Ended up fixing a co-workers revo for him. One of the issues was exactly this. Spent 3 hours fixing everything else but this fix took all of 30 seconds. Works flawlessly.

Okay guys, I've owned multiple of the traxxas ez starts and at least 2/3 of them always get the annoying slipping one way bearing. You can always disassemble and clean, but who has time for that out bashing? My solution is so simple, quick and easy.
On the easy start plastic cover where the TRX emblem is, take a drill bit the size of your aerosol can straw and make a hole on the top v of the X. ( I didn't use a power drill, just used my fingers so absolute tool control was achieved.)Then, with a smaller bit, a drain hole at the bottom.
When your ez-start begins free wheeling, use a can of nitro clean ( preferred because it's safe for plastics ) and just a burst with the straw into the hole on the X. Instantly back to playing instead of twisting wrenches. I've done it to all mine, and everyone that I've showed have followed my lead. Knock on wood, I've had no problems whatsoever.
This may be common knowledge, but I stumbled onto it myself and no one else I know knew about it. If it helps, enjoy!
my Traxxas jato 3.3 owb is slipping. I don’t think I’m capable of pulling engine so I’m ready to drill the hole. To be clear I spray cleaner like gum out ? And then once it frees up I have to lubricate it with oil of some kind? Am I correct. Also, what did you seal holes with? Any help would be appreciated. I have never done this before and can’t find no videos on YouTube on how to drill hole and fix it. Thanks

My Traxxas jato 3.3 owb is slipping. I don’t think I’m capable of pulling engine so I’m ready to drill the hole. To be clear I spray cleaner like gum out ? And then once it frees up I have to lubricate it with oil of some kind? Am I correct. Also, what did you seal holes with? Any help would be appreciated. I have never done this before and can’t find no videos on YouTube on how to drill hole and fix it. Thanks

Ok I just drilled the holes and I am back in business. Thanks for the trick. One last question. What did you guys use to close the holes? I was thinking dab of flex seal

Hi jsmith. I just followed your direction and I am not running my jato. Can’t thank you enough. Can I ask what you sealed holes with. Any recommendations?

And this is exactly what I did waaay back in 2005 on my Thunder Tiger Pull start, then on every subsequent pull start I own. Nice to see the idea caught on!

Pull dust bung, quick squirt of cleaner, replace dust bung, job done and back to playing!
What did you use to close hole?

Back when I used to do that on my OS 21RG-X, I didn't plug the hole with anything. I'd just squirt some DA (denatured alcohol) in there, work the starter a couple times, then move along.

The OS engines use a prohibitively expensive OWB ($25-$30 each). Any time you replace the owb, you should really replace the starter shaft as it's likely worn and will cause the new owb to start slipping earlier. If I did that, I'd have had to spend $50 to replace the stupid one way bearing on a $100 engine.

I have a baggie with 2 or 3 trx owb's in it in my parts box, I think they were $4 a piece... and to be honest, in the many years I've run a traxxas (or OS 18Tm/21Tm), I've yet to have one slip or fail. The ones in my parts box are many years old.

Back when I used to do that on my OS 21RG-X, I didn't plug the hole with anything. I'd just squirt some DA (denatured alcohol) in there, work the starter a couple times, then move along.

The OS engines use a prohibitively expensive OWB ($25-$30 each). Any time you replace the owb, you should really replace the starter shaft as it's likely worn and will cause the new owb to start slipping earlier. If I did that, I'd have had to spend $50 to replace the stupid one way bearing on a $100 engine.

I have a baggie with 2 or 3 trx owb's in it in my parts box, I think they were $4 a piece... and to be honest, in the many years I've run a traxxas (or OS 18Tm/21Tm), I've yet to have one slip or fail. The ones in my parts box are many years old.
same here. I’ve have Traxxas tmaxx 2 of them and rustler never had a problem. My tmaxx sat for a while and now the throttle is slow moving. I think servo went bad.

Back