Axial JK Rubicon Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
UPS dropped this off today! So I got a little cash and some Visa gift cards at Christmas, and Tower had their huge sale on these again so I couldn't turn it down a second time. Big thanks to the family for the gifts that covered almost all the cost. I already have my AE-2 ESC from the Wraith, Castle BEC, Savox SC-0251 steering servo, and I picked up a stock Axial 27T can new for $6 on ebay. Going with Tamiya silver metallic for the paint, and another Futaba R204GF-E for the RX. I have a couple of mods that will be done, but this rig will be 95% stock until things break. This is my first kit in a LONG time, and I'm really excited to spend the weekend building it. :D

C7EMTis.jpg

So what makes it a 2012? New motor? Lol

Man I'm jealous!
With all these scaler and crawler builds going on lately it's really making me want one bad, and this is the one I want.

I got my Rustler to where I want it, next is upgrading the Savage Flux with some TCS tvps, Savage suspension conversion kit, and some new wheels and tires. Then some new lipos, then pay off a small school loan. Then I shall purchase the kit, a receiver, and servo, already have a 21.5 sensorsed brushless set up for it.

It will be my first kit, how well do they go together? I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to assembling anything.

hurry up and eat already.......we want more!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys!

You guys know me, hydration and nutrients are an important part of any good build. Otherwise known as beer 'n pizza. :D

FQnNEB5.jpg

Got the drive shafts and shocks built

4ukgtfh.jpg

Think I'm going to tear the electronics apart to waterproof them so they can cure overnight, and call it quits for tonight. I have to say, I had forgotten how much fun building a kit was, it's much more satisfying to me at least to see it come to life piece by piece.

Man I'm jealous!
With all these scaler and crawler builds going on lately it's really making me want one bad, and this is the one I want.

I got my Rustler to where I want it, next is upgrading the Savage Flux with some TCS tvps, Savage suspension conversion kit, and some new wheels and tires. Then some new lipos, then pay off a small school loan. Then I shall purchase the kit, a receiver, and servo, already have a 21.5 sensorsed brushless set up for it.

It will be my first kit, how well do they go together? I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to assembling anything.

It goes together very well, and the instructions are very clear and all bags are labeled. So far, it's a very enjoyable kit to build.

AHHHH, totally hate myself for selling mine. But at least it was replaced with a truck worthy to fill its shoes. Only thing I had a problem with were the shocks. They look great but I had a problem where if the truck sat for a few days the shocks were kinda "stuck" until they were compressed a few times. Not sure if there was a but on the pistons I didn't catch or what. Great build so far!! Gotta love red n tacky :D

Your on a roll with the builds latley Randy, this should be a nice rig. Ihave a feeling it won't stay stock for long!

Non Crimen, I really wanted a TF 2 actually, just couldn't put out that much cash right now though, but at some point, I'll build one. Thanks for the tip on the shocks, I'll keep an eye on them. And you know I love my red 'n tacky. :D

Pete, thanks buddy. The comp rig needs parts for next season worse than this needs upgrades, again, unless it breaks. This will be a much slower rig, and as such, hopefully holds together well as is.

Got my boards coated just now. I always hate the little tabs on the Futaba RX's, man they're tiny.

Tried to get some pics to show the coating before it cures

Hi0ZusN.jpg

Also, see that tiny black button in the silver shroud? That's your bind button, don't coat the top of that, and don't ask me how I know. :D

WywSCrg.jpg

That's one reason I like the newer Spektrum RXs. They're already coated...

Project looks good so far.

Got some more done this morning;

Got the trans built and mounted to the skid, and the chassis is now completely assembled.

FLAhBT6.jpg

Got the links built, and everything installed on the axles so they're ready to bolt up to the chassis.

EeTdziJ.jpg

Got the body mostly trimmed out, I need to run to Lowes for some dremel sanding drums to finish it up. Trimming around all the little mounting tabs for the fender flares was a PITA, even with curved body scissors.

LK4JOja.jpg

I slugged my drive shafts

apKhwft.jpg

And got the axles and suspension installed

PTDH0Bf.jpg

I also finished trimming the body and windshield, and will start painting tomorrow.

Got the tires mounted up, mounted the RX box in the rear, and used my old Wraith battery tray that will be mounted up front. Mounted the bumpers and after adjusting them to get the wheel wells to fall where I wanted, she's finally a roller. Also, I finished trimming the body, and the second coat of paint is drying now.

0ahg7qm.jpg

Got the paint done, 6 coats of Tamiya silver

Rb5EOdY.jpg

Got the whole body done, stickers, cage, mirrors, and all. Still need to put my spare tire carrier together, and then it's on to electronics and it will be done except for the hard top, which is going to have to wait until it warms back up here.

IkEAe8V.jpg

Looking good.

I really enjoyed building my SCX-10 kit. I'd easily do another Axial kit.

Got most of the rest done tonight.

I had to trim one of my frame braces to clear the bolt for my drag link

4uScjTw.jpg

Got all my electronics mounted and wired up

teS9VYc.jpg

And I got to drive it around the living room. :hehe: I can tell this thing is going to take some getting used to compared to the Wraith, but I think I'll like it though.

Obligatory poser shots

GCcghCU.jpg

Stuffed!

10YGN6Q.jpg