Hoping for some guidance

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just got most of it done and loading pics soon as I take some but will show you some and now has a 8 light wiring harness. In bottom pic. Fushion pro is probably what I will go with also in the end.
IMG_3884.jpeg
IMG_3883.jpeg
image.jpg

I have just got most of it done and loading pics soon as I take some but will show you some and now has a 8 light wiring harness. In bottom pic. Fushion pro is probably what I will go with also in the end.View attachment 190718View attachment 190719View attachment 190720

Absolutely incredible looking rig, your body panels look fantastic! Those rims and tires look fantastic too. I hope to hear how it runs with them, once you get it out on the trail. Are those Mud Slinger tires? I have a set of 2.2 RC4WD Mud Slingers on mine currently, and I have a set of 1.0 Hyrax to test as well.

I mounted my Desert Lizards upside down as well, and used two of the included spacers at the top of the rear shocks. I used the long medium spring under the plunger, and the soft spring on top of it, and I could not get the back axle to drop when I picked the rig up. I used both soft springs in the same configuration in the front, and it dropped just as I'd hoped. From my understanding, you want the rear to sit down firmer, when crawling, so you want stiffer springs back there, but those the stiffer medium springs might just be too much resistance. The other thing is the rear shocks looked like they were still at an inward angle, even with the spacers, so I bought a pack of spacers that I plan to experiment with as well. The shocks articulate smoothly, in both directions, I used some green slime on the o-rings, so I don't believe that is the issue, though it may well be that I need to use soft/soft in the rear as well. I haven't played with that yet, but it is on the list.

Great job so far on your truck, looks like it is going to be a monster rig!

Absolutely incredible looking rig, your body panels look fantastic! Those rims and tires look fantastic too. I hope to hear how it runs with them, once you get it out on the trail.

I mounted my Desert Lizards upside down as well, and used two of the included spacers at the top of the rear shocks. I used the long medium spring under the plunger, and the soft spring on top of it, and I could not get the back axle to drop when I picked the rig up. I used both soft springs in the same configuration in the front, and it dropped just as I'd hoped. From my understanding, you want the rear to sit down firmer, when crawling, so you want stiffer springs back there, but those the stiffer medium springs might just be too much resistance. The other thing is the rear shocks looked like they were still at an inward angle, even with the spacers, so I bought a pack of spacers that I plan to experiment with as well. The shocks articulate smoothly, in both directions, I used some green slime on the o-rings, so I don't believe that is the issue, though it may well be that I need to use soft/soft in the rear as well. I haven't played with that yet, but it is on the list.

Great job so far on your truck, looks like it is going to be a monster rig!
Thanks, I have same springs in front and rear and it bottoms out to make that stiff rear. I wouldn’t run them at all but it gives that look, a little more ground clearance, and pushes the shock just enough down to drop a little quicker in the rocks. Springs are only under plungers. But that all determines on where and how you drive. The way it is now it does very well with the deep woods duratraxs,
But getting 1.9 mickey thompsons baja pro x also,
I just like the look of them. And they work awesome, I had some but got rid of them for a part I needed at the time. Deep woods definitely a great option though, they like just about all terrain, I put them on in reverse tread, they do alot better.
And like them on all my rigs.

Thanks, I have same springs in front and rear and it bottoms out to make that stiff rear. I wouldn’t run them at all but it gives that look, a little more ground clearance, and pushes the shock just enough down to drop a little quicker in the rocks. Springs are only under plungers. But that all determines on where and how you drive. The way it is now it does very well with the deep woods duratraxs,
But getting 1.9 mickey thompsons baja pro x also,
I just like the look of them. And they work awesome, I had some but got rid of them for a part I needed at the time. Deep woods definitely a great option though, they like just about all terrain, I put them on in reverse tread, they do alot better.
And like them on all my rigs.
Thank you for that info on the Deep Woods Duratrax, that is very helpful. Your rig is only ever going to be as good as the tires you run on it. I haven't gotten my rig on the rocks yet, but once I do I will have some better ideas on where the weaknesses lie. If it is the tires, Deep Woods will be my next set, and I will have a better idea, by then, if 2.2 or 1.0 wheels suit my needs better.

I see a lot on people doing the cut and shut method with their tires, but haven;t found a post or video, yet, that explains the purpose of such a thing. I understand people wanting to thin their tires some, I get that method, where people cut out a section down the middle of the tire. But cutting out a section of one tire, and adding it to another tire is the method that baffles me. It makes the tires bigger, which is fine, requiring the next size rim to mount it on, but why not just buy the same tire in the next size up? That is the question that always pops into my head when I see people doing that.

if it gets much heavier, I may have to go to a harder spring. Haven’t weighed it yet but definitely my heaviest rig. I would say 8-9 lbs, all metal axels and Tranny, metal wheels. I did not buy a kit, built from extras, I had had to buy a cage, and panels, witch now are gone. So nothing stock but cage now. 😂

if it gets much heavier, I may have to go to a harder spring. Haven’t weighed it yet but definitely my heaviest rig. I would say 8-9 lbs, all metal axels and Tranny, metal wheels. I did not buy a kit, built from extras, I had had to buy a cage, and panels, witch now are gone. So nothing stock but cage now. 😂
It is a heavy rascal, for sure. That is why I want to droop it as much as I can, and was trying to stiffen the rear springs. This is the video that showed me a different spring placement (medium spring under the plunger for more droop, short spring on top) from what the Yeah Racing video shows, and he does a great job explaining why he essentially does it in reverse of what YR suggest in their videos. He says it performs a lot better on side hilling with his configuration.

Thank you for that info on the Deep Woods Duratrax, that is very helpful. Your rig is only ever going to be as good as the tires you run on it. I haven't gotten my rig on the rocks yet, but once I do I will have some better ideas on where the weaknesses lie. If it is the tires, Deep Woods will be my next set, and I will have a better idea, by then, if 2.2 or 1.0 wheels suit my needs better.

I see a lot on people doing the cut and shut method with their tires, but haven;t found a post or video, yet, that explains the purpose of such a thing. I understand people wanting to thin their tires some, I get that method, where people cut out a section down the middle of the tire. But cutting out a section of one tire, and adding it to another tire is the method that baffles me. It makes the tires bigger, which is fine, requiring the next size rim to mount it on, but why not just buy the same tire in the next size up? That is the question that always pops into my head when I see people doing that.
They are going for that in between size you can’t get, also some more advantages but haven’t tried either yet. I did use 2.2 bully comps, glue mount on plastic rims to keep down on weight, and it went everywhere. I pull them out if I can’t get past something.

They are going for that in between size you can’t get, also some more advantages but haven’t tried either yet. I did use 2.2 bully comps, glue mount on plastic rims to keep down on weight, and it went everywhere. I pull them out if I can’t get past something.
Ah, ok, now that makes sense. Thank you so much for explaining that to me, it has been eating at me since I first began hearing about the cut and shut method. I have thought about the Extreme Route huge pins, but I think that is a little more for the competitive side of things. For now, I just want a really capable rig to hit the trail with, that also allows me to have a go at some technical lines as well. Ever since I saw a Bully II climbing a 90, I was hooked, and want to be able to do that, if the moment calls for it. In the video I saw, he used his 4WS and dig to accomplish that climb, and some nice pins, it was really impressive stuff.

It is a heavy rascal, for sure. That is why I want to droop it as much as I can, and was trying to stiffen the rear springs. This is the video that showed me a different spring placement (medium spring under the plunger for more droop, short spring on top) from what the Yeah Racing video shows, and he does a great job explaining why he essentially does it in reverse of what YR suggest in their videos. He says it performs a lot better on side hilling with his configuration.

I only have small light spring in shock chamber above plunger, upside down shock it is under plunger lol.

Desert wheelers, on YouTube, is an awesome guy to watch and get ideas from with the capra. He takes his capra some crazy places.

Might be who your talking about.

I only have small light spring in shock chamber above plunger, upside down shock it is under plunger lol.

Desert wheelers, on YouTube, is an awesome guy to watch and get ideas from with the capra. He takes his capra some crazy places.

Might be who your talking about.
Logan, at West Desert Wheeler, is a fantastic source of information for all things related to the Capra and crawling in General, I've watched almost all of his videos, including the ones related to flying his planes. He is exactly who I was referring to with the Cut'n'Shut tires. Logan actually makes them himself, and sells them on his site, an all around really good guy in hobby, and extremely helpful!